Long Live the King

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Eric questioned for the tenth time.

"Yes," I laugh, "I'm sure I do not want to be a third wheel on your date." I shove him out the door as he digs his feet into the ground. His heavy weight presses down on me causing me to huff. "Now," I groan and push him again. "Go." Shove. "Have." Shove. "Fun!"

He pulls away making me trip over my feet. When I look up to glare at him he's already laughing on his way to the car. "Love you!" He calls out.

I lock the door and sigh.

I was happy to be on better terms with him. I don't know how much longer I could take his cold shoulder routine. As long as everything was okay with my family, I could be happy...

For now.

There I go again, wanting more.

"Jamie, come here."

I walk reluctantly to the kitchen and forced a smile to my mom. "Yeah, mom?" I knew what she wanted. The last couple of days she has pulled me to the side every now and then and told me how much she loved me. Ever since I came back home she's been watching me like a hawk.

I've received more hugs this week than I have in the past ten years.

Maybe I should go missing more often.

"Come sit." She pats next to her. "Let's talk," What she really meant is, let me tell you how much I love you because I feel guilty.

I suppress my groan and sit down. She does that motherly stare, when she just looks at me with this look, and says nothing. After I can't take the awkwardness anymore I scratch my head.

"Not that I'm not enjoying this, is there something you wanted to talk about?"

"I know more about your situation than you think, Jamie."

She knows what I've told her. How can I go into depth about all these issues with her, she'll do nothing but judge. I hold my tongue and wait for her to continue.

"I know you haven't told me the complete story, but you need to. First I want to know about you and Damon."

"What's there to know?" I lean back and play with my pajama shorts.

"Everything."

"I have nothing to say about him. We aren't together and I don't plan on seeing him again. He went to go live with his mom, remember?" That's the lie he told his dad, right?

"Jamie, don't sit here and lie in my face," her voice began to rise.

I raised a brow and crossed my arms. "After the police interviewed Eric and Trevor when we first went looking for you Damon was mentioned. The cops had to look into him. They just located his mom and he is not with her. So," She tilted her and cut her eyes at me in warning, "Where is he?"

"I don't know," I mumble.

"Don't lie, Jamie! That boy is a minor and his family must be worried sick!" She slammed her hand on the table and I clenched my fist.

"Now you tell me what you know about his disappearance and how it connects with yours. And don't leave a damn detail out."

I roll my eyes.

"How blind could you be?"

She goes to open her mouth but I raise my hand to try to gather my words in the most respectful way. "You're never around to know what's going on. Just like it was back at home, it's the same way here. You're never here. I can't confide in you if you're never here...,"