Chapter 2: Sleepover PART 2

We both sat on the sofa, with a bowl of popcorn placed between us. The film started and all went silent; both of us focused on the film.

-

'Wait, Phil- what's that?' He whispered, turning on the light, and pausing the film; pulling me out the television trance. I followed where he was looking- Shit.

'I- don't know?' I questioned myself, but I could tell he knew.

'Why?' He whispered, pushing the popcorn out the way to sit next to me, he took hold of my arm, stroking the length of it, feeling the bumps from previous scars and those more visible.

'I-' I spoke, but my words wouldn't come out. He'd think I was crazy, messed up, and want me to leave his house straight away.

'I'll go.' I mumbled, forcing out the words, I stood up, and raced to his room, grabbing what little I had with me - school bag and phone and ran back down the stairs.

'NO!' He screamed, pushing the things out my hands, he grabbed my phone and put it in his pocket. 'Stay.' He grabbed me by my waist, pulling me in for a hug, squeezing me tight.

'Dan-'

'I'm going to help you.' He didn't let go for a long while, I swear I heard a few sobs. 'You are worth so much more, your amazing, beautiful and I love your personality so much.'

Once I was aloud out his embrace, we walked silently into the lounge. 'I don't feel like watching films anymore, let's go upstairs.' Dan whispered. He pulled my by my hand to his room. We sat down together on his bed, and he asked.

'Why do you do it?'

'Do I have to say?' I mumbled, knowing he'd have to know about my father and all he's done to me.

He shuffled closer, placing a hand on my leg. 'You don't have to- but I am always here for you.' He whispered.

'Why are you even being nice to me? You know I'm a loser.'

'Why can't I be a loser with you?' The words sunk in, giving me shivers.

'My- dad.' I began. 'He- We all used to be a happy family- my mum died. He got angry, an-and he started taking it out on me and my sister, just shouting, but my older sister got sick, she moved out to one of her friends. I haven't seen her in 5 years.'

'It's been going on for five years!' He shrieked,

'Yeah- He started beating me, chucking me against walls, then it got more violent, and more often, he'd drink at the pub, come home and hurt me. Burning me with hot water- he'd hit me with a bat until I was unconscious, so I got upset, people used to tease me with all the marks I had on my body, he used to cut me using a knife. I thought- why does he the one who gets to have all the fun- I used to have nightmares- then I realized that self harm was the only way out of these horrific nightmares.' I shivered, I did it- I told him.

'Oh- Phil.' He whispered. 'I don't know what to say- apart from that I am not letting your father ever hurt you again.'

'Dan- that's impos-'

'Shush.' He replied, he lifted my shirt, to see the marks. Including the large burn across the bottom of my chest. 'I won't let this happen to you ever again- I- I'm asking my parents if you can move in. Now.'

'Dan that's sweet, but you barely know me, I couldn't ask for that.'

'I don't care. Philip Lester you have been more of a friend to me in the sort time I have gotten to know you, than anybody has been in my lifetime.'

I felt a tear fall out my eye, 'Don't cry.' Dan laughed, whipping it away. 'It's just the truth.' He jumped onto me, hugging me tight as we laid together on his bed. For once, everything felt right.

-

'I'll be back.' Dan mumbled into my shoulder, and stood up, grabbing his phone.

A few minutes later he returned with a sad face.

'My mum said.' He sulked for a moment, 'You can stay in our spare room!'

'Are you serious!' I screamed,

'I know, I was as shocked as you, she said yes straight away, Phil welcome home!'

I know it felt sudden, I was moving into a guys house who I only met on Monday, but I was so happy. I had a friend who wanted me around, I felt something I had never felt before, friendship.