Chapter 8

I am a coward.

I did not have the courage to get back to work and face that mongrel.

It has been a month since that grueling day.Recently i was not feeling well and i keep vomiting all the food that i ate.I am no idiot and i know that i am already pregnant and the pregnancy test that i took today just confirmed my suspicion.

Instead of feeling down,i kind of feel invigorated.In this ordeal,i think that having this baby is the kind of  light that i needed in my life.The latter is kind of my bittersweet gift.

 It's been a month since i have not heard about Mr conceited and i am sure that he is keeping an eye on me and will soon make an appearance which i am dreading as i fear that he will take my child away from me.

I will fight body and soul for the custody of my child.The latter will not be easy and i would prefer to solve this matter free of trouble but i know Mr conceited will twist things in his favor.

Today i have an appointment with a gynecologist as i want to ensure that my baby is in good health.

"Miss Quinton,the doctor is ready to receive you."the secretary of doctor Wells informed me.

I thanked the lady and went inside the consultation room and greeted the doctor.The latter asked me several questions like when i had my last period,what are my symptoms and then he told me to lie down on the bed. 

Suddenly the door opened and guess who showed up. 

"Please forgive my lateness.I am Kace Ezra,the father of Claire's baby."Mr Kace said while shaking Mr Wells's hand.

"Oh no you are here just on time for the echography."Mr Wells replied.

I glared at that infuriating man.How dare he show his face to me after what he has done.Does he have no shame.

Then the doctor spread a cool gel on my tummy which made me shiver and moved the probe on the surface on my belly.

Our eyes were fixed on the monitor and then the doctor exclaimed.

"Here is your baby and everything seems normal but precautions should still be taken ."

It was a magical moment although that we could only see a black dot on the screen.

The doctor gave Mr Kace some tissues and he looked at Mr Wells confusingly.

"It is for you to wipe the gel on Miss Quinton belly."Mr Wells clarified and my eyes widen.

"I will leave you some minutes to get cleaned and dressed."Mr Wells continued without letting me retort to his absurd request and left the room.

I tried taking the tissues from Mr Kace hand but he did not let me and glared at me.He then came closer to me and wiped the gel off my belly.As soon as he touched me i felt the strange feeling again and this time not only me who noticed it but Mr Kace too as he held his gaze with mine.

He cleaned me and disposed the tissues in the bin.Before i could get up he hovered his hands over my belly and look at me asking for permission.I nodded and he gently rub my slight baby bump and i think that i saw a smile on his face but as soon as it appeared it had disappeared.

Then i got up and set my clothes right.We walked in the doctor's office where Mr Wells was waiting for us.We sat down and Mr Wells gave us a picture of the echography.

"As you see Miss Quinton you need to take great care of yourself as the first trimester is quiet arduous and i expect you Mr Kace to take the responsibility to look after her.I will prescribe you some tablets to ease the vomiting and you should watch what you are eating."the doctor said and we nodded.

We bid Mr Wells farewell and exited the clinic.Things were awkward between us.

"We need to talk."we both said at the same time and looked at each other.Anyone looking at us would feel the tension in the air.

The most tiring thing is up next.That is to convince Mr conceited to not take my child away from me.