• chapt. 8 | what bet?

"mina? can you hear me?" chaeyoung said through her phone. it was afterschool on a tuesday and chaeyoung was stuck being benched from todays practice having sprained her ankle from almost tripping down the stairs. lets say that it may have occured because she and dahyun were trying to see who can race down the stairs fastest.

"c-c-chae? i ca-a-ant hear you...well," mina said through the other side of her phone. the reception in the pool area always seemed to be messed up. this was why some people called it the main dead spot.

chaeyoung got up from the bench and went closer to the window. "how about now?"

"i can hear you better," mina responded with a smile. "there is just a slight echo but nothing i cant handle."

this was the first time they have been able to have an actual conversation since mina has been away on a volleyball tournement. shes been gone for about two weeks, and wasnt suppose to come back for probably another few more. since she was considered one of the star athletes in her school, they allowed her and her team to miss as many days as they wished to win at nationals. 

"so as i was saying, stupid mr. garisson is making tzuyu be my tutor," chaeyoung sighed. she heard the soft giggles that were escaping her girlfriend's lips and began to pout. "its not funny!"

"i wasnt laughing!" mina lied as she tried to stiffle a few chuckles that were escaping.

chaeyoung squinted her eyes. "mina! this isnt a laughing matter. tzuyu and i are rivals!"

"i am sure you are babe," the brunette said in response.

just then there was shouting.

"lisa stop running you are going to fall you idiot!" chaeyoung heard jennie yell as she opened the door.

chaeyoung clung onto her phone. "practice is over. i have to go, i'll skype you later?"

"sure thing. talk to you later babe," mina smiled through the phone.

"bye," chaeyoung said with a giggle.

she placed her phone back into her pocket and went to greet the gang around at their lockers.

"hey," she said softly.

jihyo, who was drying her hair with her towel, stopped and smiled at the girl. "hey chae, was that mina?"

"yeah," the girl responded. "she misses you guys."

"next time you talk to her, tell her that she owes me $5 for the bet," lisa exclaimed while coming out from the showers. she almost slipped and luckily, one of her other team members caught her.

"what bet?" chaeyoung asked. she took a seat down next to jennie who was putting on her shirt.

"i aced my psych test today and she thought i was going to fail," the blonde replied almost dropping her towel.

jennie peeked her head out from her locker. "my baby got an a? are you sure? i mean, aw im so proud of you!' jennie laughed before going over to kiss lisa's cheek.

"gee thanks jen, its good to know my girlfriend has my back," lisa replied sarcastically as she gently pushed jennie off of her.

chaeyoung chuckled to herself and bit her lip. she then looked over at her phone, and the younger girl felt her phone vibrate, thinking it was mina and that she forgot to say something. however, that feeling dropped when she looked at the name

to: chaeyoung
from: tzuyu 🤓
hey.. we are not able to meet up at all this week because i am busy. however, we can have our session on saturday. i'll just have someone pick you up and drive you to my house. i live pretty far from you