Chapter 57

I've never traveled... wait, that's not true. I lived somewhere and moved. Then of course to Paris... Never mind, I have traveled. I guess I wasn't used to car trips, it was completely different than being on a plane, driving was more comfortable but less ground was covered. I hadn't traveled as much as I would have liked, but now we were on the move and I had an eternity to travel.

I still didn't know where we were going. I had an uneasy feeling not knowing and I really didn't like that Klaus was driving but I trusted Elijah. The car ride was painfully silent. I laid down with my head in Elijah's lap, he ran his fingers through my hair. I held onto my stomach. I was gonna be a parent and the thought terrified me. I was excited, but mostly terrified. I'm afraid I'm gonna mess up or someone was gonna mess it up for me. I wanted my baby to be safe and that wasn't a guaranteed thing.

Thomas was laid back in the seat, covering his eyes with his arm. He seemed to be sleeping, resting at best. He and I had already been through a lot. I knew I shouldn't but I broke into his mind.

"Thomas, you doing okay," I forced my words into his head. He stirred then responded.

"Yes..." he said back. His words were loud in my head but it seemed better than this terrible silence. "Do you know where we're going?" He added his voice rattled my brain a little less this time.

"No clue," I said fairly frustrated.

"You'll find out when we get there," Klaus said out loud. Thomas and I both held our breath and burst into laughter. Elijah smiled at my laughter while Klaus was not amused. The laughs finally died down.

Several long and boring hours later we were in a place filled with jazz. Elijah and Klaus seemed to be well at home as they stepped out of the car. It was dark outside and the night here was different. Back home, night was pitch black; nothing but fear and death was there. But here, it was filled with pleasant sounds and vibrant colors of all sorts. A parade in the street, people dancing. I couldn't help but feel lifted. This truly was amazing. We parked our car only a bit away from the music. I opened up my door and followed the sound. Behind me Elijah and Klaus watched as I wandered. Thomas ran after me and joined me. The music filled my soul and things seemed good. I felt this way when Elijah and I were in Paris. People in the crowd had instruments; drums beat, maracas shook, and saxophones played and made amazing sounds. Thomas and I moved to the beat in the out skirts. A woman dressed in every color was handing out glow necklaces. She spotted us and waved us over. We walked over to her, she took a few a put them around Thomas then she took a few more and put them around me.

"Welcome to New Orleans," she greeted with a smile. Then her attention shifted to where we had come from. She frowned. Thomas and I spun around to see Elijah and Klaus staring directly at her. Suddenly the woman touched my stomach.
"How?" She questioned. Thomas pulled me away with him and brought me back to Elijah and Klaus.

"Hey. Don't worry about her," Elijah said calmly. "She's a witch. She doesn't run things like we do," he said, confidence radiated off of him. I smirked and nodded touching my stomach.

"Thomas, come with me. We have things to do," Klaus said. Thomas looked to me then to Klaus before nodding. Then they ran off somewhere leaving Elijah and I.

"Now it's our turn to go somewhere. I want to show you where I've been,"

Elijah led me away from the music and to a tall old building. We walked into its large courtyard and I looked up at its entirety. There were chairs and tables placed around and there was a balcony that nearly lined the whole place.

"Woah. Where are we?" I asked Elijah who seemed to be having a blissful moment.

"Home." I spun around.

"Here?" I asked in a surprised tone.
Elijah put his arms around me.

"This is where we lived a long time. This is where we rule," he spoke, his words bounced around. Elijah then looked up to the balcony that began to fill up with people. I stepped back and stepped into Elijah. He held onto my shoulders as a horde of people filled up stairs.

"Umm. Who are these people?" I awkwardly whispered to Elijah, who stood tall and mighty.

"Take a bow to the Queen of New Orleans," Elijah's voice thundered. Everyone bowed down. I was fairly confused. Then a few people pushed forward and jumped off the balcony! They were vampires... Made more sense now. A man and a woman approached me, both seemed very confident, just with the way they walked you could tell they were proud of something. They bowed again.

"Hi," I said simply. They rose.

"It's so nice to finally have you here. We've been waiting," the woman said while the man was quietly staring down at my stomach. They were dressed in a leather jacket and jeans but spoke as if they were a century old. I started to feel odd in their presence. I had a bad feeling. The man finally stopped staring and looked me in my eyes like a normal person.

"Yes, nice to meet you as well... who are you?" I asked missing the bigger picture. "Who are any of you?" I asked looking up to the crowd of people. The two went to explain themselves but we're interrupted by Elijah.

"It's been a very long trip. We can all get to know each other tomorrow," Elijah pushed. The place cleared and he showed me to our room.

Elijah led me up the stairs with the excitement of a child.

"I hope you like it," his eyes gleamed and it made my bad feeling fade. This place meant a lot to him. He showed me to our room. The room was large with a king sized bed with cream sheets, almost a pearl color to be more precise. The room held a calm tone to it and I felt safe. The wood floors creaked but that was to be expected.

"I love this house," I said sitting down on the bed. The mattress was springy and the sheets were extremely soft.
Elijah could see that we were going to get a long just fine here.

"Oh, one more thing I want to show you," he said. He gently covered my eyes and carefully led me away. I took many steps with Elijah guiding me. The floors creaked under our weight and I shuffled my feet.
"Okay," he said lifting his hands from my eyes. My eyes opened and I saw the room. "Do you like it?" He asked. I gazed upon a nursery. A white crib with an embroidered sun and moon. The chines above the crib were stars that gleamed. I took my time answering him. I stepped further into the room. I wandered over to the mobile, I touched at the embroidery smirking a little. Then I touched the charms on the mobile, cranking it a few times. It played a nursery rhyme I had always heard but never knew the name of. The stars went around in a circle then finally stopped. I reached into the crib pulling out a stuffed animal.

"An elephant." I said laughing a little, tears welling up in my eyes.

"I thought maybe a lamb would be over the top," he said chuckling. I laughed. "But if you don't want the elephant.." he started.

"No, It's perfect," I said petting the fluffy elephant. He nodded and let me continue. I held onto the elephant closely. Then it hit me.

"Elijah. Her name is Ella," I said. He looked a bit surprised for a second then thought about it. He walked in and held onto my stomach getting closer for a kiss.

"Ella, our beautiful baby girl," he said kissing me.

"I'm glad you agree. Only now we have to figure out the gender. I'd rather not buy clothes for Ella, then an Elliot pops out," I said. Elijah and I both laughed.

"I'd prefer an Elliot," he said.

"I know you would, Elijah. But as long as its healthy, I don't care what the gender is," I said.

"A healthy Elliot would be great," We both laughed. I put the elephant back into the crib and went off to bed with Elijah.