Chapter 41

The bell rang and the hallways became a ghost town. I walked to my class slowly, I wasn't expected and it would be a nice surprise. I could hear my class from all the way down the hall, even in highschool, we sounded like small children. They were so loud? Then it struck me, I facepalmed.. Super hearing..duh. This is gonna be fun I said to myself.
I approached the loud classroom, walking in, and watching it fall silent. The teacher didn't look surprised, she seemed mad at me. Her green eyes seemed red with rage for a moment. She had her black hair pulled tightly into a bun and seemed like business, although her rose lined dress and flats didn't match her attitude.

"Open up your books to page 477 and start reading," she said walking towards me. A student raised his hand, seemed to be an overachiever by the look of him, he asked her a question but I couldn't hear his words. I could only hear his heart in his chest, the flow of his blood.. "Rose?" My teacher said snapping me out of my hungered daze.

"Yeah," I said.

"Come talk with me in the hallway, please," she said in a firm tone. She put her hand on my back and pushed me out of the room. There was a clear drop in temperature-- School budget can't keep it warm. The teacher stepped out and slammed the door behind her, then turned to face me.
"Where have you been?!" She questioned.

"Well... first I was at..." I started.

"No, where did you escape to?" She asked looking me dead in the eye. I laughed nervously.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You know what I mean, where did you escape to that night, how did you survive, and who killed my husband?" she asked. I immediately felt like dropping to my knees. Standing started to hurt and my heart was too heavy for this. I was speechless.

"I didn't-" I said plainly, but by her expression she already knew that I hadn't killed him but still held me responsible. I put my feelings aside for a moment.

"Listen, as we speak, I'm not safe. No one around me is safe. I have a very powerful vampire looking for me. Even leaving the country is useless!! That same vampire killed your husband," I tried to say it as nice as possible but I just couldn't form the sentence properly. She eyes seemed less angry and a little more sad.

"Wait then why are you here?!?" She questioned. I looked away.

"I just want to be normal. I didn't ask for... THIS," I said then showing my eyes and fangs.

"A wolf too??" She said loudly then quieted down. "How?" She asked looking back at the class, through the doors side window, who were quietly reading. I quickly looked around the hallway, then tugged on the neck of my shirt exposing the scar.

"You're husband killed me," I said sad and angry, then hid the scar. She had nothing to say to that, something had been taken from us in one form or another.

"You don't have to make any of the work up and you immediately passed my class. BUT, don't cause anymore trouble, keep your head down if possible, and keep me out of your business," she explained. I nodded and went back to class. Everyone stared at me as I walked back to an open seat in the corner of the room. The teacher gained our attention and assigned homework. I pulled out the work and began to complete it. I wove my pencil through my fingers and accidentally flung it to the ground. I quickly went to grab it. Someone grabbing it before me, I looked up at their face....

"Derek??" I whispered. His eyes seemed to gleam for a moment but then they dimmed. He handed me my pencil then looked away.

"Derek... I didn't... it was... I'm sorry," I said unable to form the right words. I felt the pain in the thought again, only this time worse. My friend was in pain... how was it that every decision I made hurt me along with others.... I can't keep doing this to people. But wait... Why should I care? Suddenly my own mind and heart were against me. I gripped my pencil tighter and tighter till it exploded into several hundred shards, much of which that went into my hand.

"Aghh!!" I shouted, louder than anticipated. The class all turned to see my hand covered in blood. A girl screamed, and one nearly threw up or fainted. The teacher rushed to my desk and immediately took me to the teachers bathroom.

"What did I just say!!" She said shoving my hand under the faucet water.

"I'm sorry! I can't help I'm super strong now," I said back, wincing at the pain. Although it wasn't nearly as bad as other things I've endured.

"More like super stupid!! You can not just be you anymore, you gotta put on a show, at least pretend to be just a bit human!" She said. I huffed. "How are we to explain this? Hmm. No wound, no hospital visit? I have to teach!" She continued.

"Then why are you helping me!!" I said pulling my hand away from her. She looked at me shocked. "You have no idea what they did to me, this is the least of my problems," I said fighting tears.

"Okay, I'm sorry, leave and don't come back without bandages on your hand," she said leaving the bathroom. I huffed and began to pull the splinters from my hand. There weren't many but a few scary looking ones. I followed her advice and wrapped up my hand before returning to class. I walked in with a minute of class remaining. The room once again fell silent. I stopped walking.

"The schools nurse is the shit!!" I said, and everyone cheered as I grabbed my backpack and left.

The hallways were unbearably loud, I was definitely gonna need some ear plugs or something if I planned to graduate. Which hopefully I would, I couldn't live forever with out an education. Well, I could but still, school was important. As I walked into my next class there was an announcement over the PA.
"Rosalena Tenroar to the counseling office please," I groaned, of course the only class I had with friends would be spent in the office explaining where I've been the last three months. Probably gonna tell me I need to be in summer school or worse. I walked down to the office and was immediately sat down with the counselor. A man, dark facial hair, early 50's, very sympathetic looking. His voice was a little high for being a dude. He sat across his desk, hands folded, ears open and fully ready for me to answer the question. "So, how are you?" The fact that I wasn't speaking to police stunned me. All I could tell this kind hearted man were lies, and sadness, and everything I would say would spark up a new question. But I had to start with the mostly false beginning, then eventually I would need to learn compulsion. My mind was flooded by thoughts again. My mouth was moving though, words were coming out in the right ordered and clearly, I had very little control over my own words but I had some sort of sense that they were correct and fixing my situation. At some parts of my story, the true parts no doubt made his soul hurt. So much pain in one week. My parents tragically dying, running away, coming back. I considered telling him about Elijah; I shivered,  his name hadn't grazed my mind in awhile. I almost had forgotten I wasnt whole... How could you just forget something like that? The reason you did anything for the longest time, only to be forgotten, it was only for a few hours, but a few hours too long. I mean, I was kind of waiting on Stefan and Elena to get a lead on his whereabouts, but the fact of the matter was I could be with him now, if I weren't afraid.... Klaus was one hell of a person, a monster more like. I was afraid to be held captive again by the jealous maniac... If only he had someone else to bother... If only I wasn't scared then I could have Elijah back... The whole time I had been thinking of Elijah the counselor talked about my options and what I would have to do to graduate on time or at all. Multitask... I somehow compelled him to delete all accounts of me being missing, and to allow me to graduate without penalty.
When I left his office and went home, dropped of my backpack, and went to face my fear.