Callista Skye Evener

Start from the beginning

"Hey guys," I greet as I approach the small group. Annabeth doesn't look up, her stromy eyes intent on the cards she's trying to stack together on the rickety picnic table. Thals shoots up though and grins. Her cloths are black through and through, her T-shirt sporting her favourite 'Death to Barbie' sign and there's a silver tiara perched somewhat absentmindedly atop her unruly black hair. I've never asked her about the tiara, and with her death stare, I doubt I ever will. "She's trying to beat me," she whispers confidingly.

I crinkle my eyebrows. "At what?" I ask, feeling a little stupid.

"The tallest card house," she replies in a 'duh' voice.

I roll my eyes and then take a step back as a gust of wind comes out of nowhere and knocks over Annabeth's precariously stacked, four tiered card structure. The blond looks first at the ground, horrified, before stomping her foot and turning a death glare on Thals. Thalia just looks innocently at her shoes, trying to hide a smile. I tilt my head a little, not sure if I want to know what's going down.

"Um, okay, I'm going to go to class now," I announce, slowly backing away from the crazy eyed blond, her boyfriend and the punk rocker.

Percy mouths 'Good Idea' as he tries to follow me. But Annabeth's too quick. She grabs the poor boy and tells him stand right in front of the table where the wind had sprung up from. Thalia just laughs as Percy makes desperate 'Save Me!' eyes in my direction.

I shrug though and turn around, snickering at the trio's dynamic.

The rest of the morning goes smoothly. I show up to all my classes and hand in most of the work. It's only at lunch that things get interesting. It's fine at first, we sit down at the usual table with the equally usual cafeteria slop. Percy and Thals get into some intense argument about the Little Mermaid. Annabeth and I just watch, trying to understand.

Then one of the windows shatter.

As sharp edges of glass spiral down from above, two, furry, brown dogs leap to the center of the cafeteria. Everybody screams and swarm the exits as the teachers try to calm them all down. I am still in my seat though, reeling in shock, because the creatures do not look like ordinary dogs. They are brown with snouts and fur, but they are larger than your average domestic dog, maybe they're wild? Suddenly one howls in pain, an arrow protruding from its back. I gasp in horror as the dog begins to dissolve before my eyes.

As its body slowly trickles to dust, I follow the trajectory of the arrow with my eyes, finding that it was shot from just behind me. Turning, I'm surprised to see Thalia standing on the table, another arrow already notched in her bow. With her feet planted shoulder-width apart and her arrow aimed at the other dog, she looks like the fricking Princess of Hell.

My eyes widen. "Holy sh*t, girl!"

Thalia turns to me and opens her mouth. Percy interrupts her though, by leaping up and charging towards the single, dog left standing in the middle of the room. The enormous dog snarls as Percy grabs a pen from his pocket. The dog readies to pounce as Percy runs full tilt at it, seemingly unafraid. The dog widens its mouth as if in a smile, displaying its sharply filed teeth. Then the dog leaps.

Percy is going to die.

Without thinking, I raise my hands and cry out. A wall of ice erupts from the floor between Percy and the dog. At the last moment, Percy manages to slide out of the way, but the dog slams into it full force, rebounding off the solid sheet of ice.

Quickly Annabeth comes around from behind, stabbing the dog with what looks to be a bronze dagger. Similar to the first, this dog disintegrates into fine specks of gold dust.