Callista Skye Evener

This one's for @Yadhira_A for this amazhang character. I enjoyed writing her and I hope everyone, especially you enjoy reading it just as much!!! Anyways, without further ado...

I pick up a strand of my hair, watching in the mirror as its raven colour fades to an icy blue at my waist. It's natural, but no one needs to know that, I'm enough of a freak as it is. Perhaps friends are overrated, but that doesn't necessarily mean I don't care what people think. With my almost exclusively black wardrobe and incredibly light almost translucent skin, I'm constantly being mistaken as some kind of emo or goth wannabe thing.

I sigh and shoot the mirror with a finger gun. A jagged piece of ice erupts from my hand though and clangs against the reflective surface. I jump back, terrified. My step-mom yells at me from downstairs for waking up my half-sister, but I can hardly hear her over my laboured breathing. I shiver as the icicle melts quickly in the summer heat onto the carpet.

I've done this before, so many times before. Everyday I wake up, terrified of being found out.

I was five the first time. I'd thought it was cool how when I touched the snow, an icicle erupted from its surface. Of course five seconds later when I showed Tracy Mathews - my best friend at the time - and she ran off screaming how freaky I was, it was no longer quite so hype.

I collapse on my bed, messaging my temples. The dark puddle on the carpet has already started to dry, erasing all evidence of my curse. I have to be more careful than that. I can't just loose focus. What if I hadn't been alone at the time? What if I'd been talking to someone, raised my hand and kablooie!

I moan. Another plus about being alone: no one to hurt.

I close my eyes and remember a time when I wasn't so careful. I shake my head. I'd just been passing a bowl to him when my hand slipped. I jerked towards the bowl to catch it and my hand had just come up and bam, just like that that, I froze over Dad's entire body.

I groan. It'd been just a little over two years now after that incident and I'm still no closer to mastering my curse.

My stepmother calls up again, her shrill tone ringing around in my skull. "Callista! School today! I'll give you a drive if you're down in ten!"

I sigh, squeezing my eyes shut, before shouting back, "Coming!" With that I drag myself from my bed and sigh as I inspect the mirror I'd hit with ice. I hadn't even scratched it. "Only me," I mutter darkly, throwing my homework binder into my bag.

I manage to make it downstairs without another incident and grab a granola bar for the ride.

"Let's go, let's go!" My stepmother shuffles both my cranky half sister and I out the front door and into her gas guzzling SUV.

It's a short drive to my high school and it's as if we're there in seconds. I sigh as I slowly descend from the car and watch as it disappears down the street on errands. I'm left alone once more.

Focus. Don't let it get the best of you. Focus.

A hand clamps on my shoulder and I jump five feet in the air. "My gosh, Percy, you don't sneak up on people like that!" I exclaim, turning to the raven haired boy beside me.

He looks confused as he responds, "Sneak up on you? I've been calling your name for the last couple minutes, Skye." I wince and he shakes his head in defeat. "Anyways, come on, Annabeth and Thals are doing who the Hades knows what over that-a way."

Percy then proceeds to saunter off in the general direction of the others. I trail a little bit behind. Thalia and I are pretty close, but although Percy and Annabeth seem like cool people I hadn't 'clicked' with them. And, frankly, I didn't trust them as much as I did Thals.