8) Conflicted

Jareth sat on a balcony overlooking the kingdom, completely motionless. In a chamber room just below, the sounds of quiet sobbing could be heard from Sarah, who hadn't stopped since Jareth dragged her to his castle.

Ever since Jareth shut her in her room- just a few long days ago- he had not moved a muscle once he placed himself on the balcony. He was angry with himself. Angry he had been so cruel to the woman he loved so dearly. Since his transformation, part of his mind had gotten careless with the frustration. But the other part of him was trying hard to keep Jareth's anger contained.

He knew deep down that Sarah would not forgive him if he tried to apologize, but he held onto a tiny glimmer of hope that she would understand.

"Sire?" A small goblin's voice broke the silence.

"Hmm." Jareth responded.

"Shall I serve Miss Sarah's food?"

"I shall do it. Leave me her food, attend to your other duties." He sighed, standing slowly. Picking up the tray of food, Jareth slowly made his way to Sarah's room below, stepping lightly.

When he arrived to her door, the sobs had died down. Was she asleep? Jareth tapped on the door, pausing a moment. Silence. He tapped again, and slowly opened the door, stepping into the dimly lit room. A single candle was lit on a dresser, and soft sounds of quiet snores and evened-out breathing signaled that the girl was deep asleep.

He sighed and gently set the tray of food down on a table, placing a hovering crystal above to keep the food hot. Stepping lightly toward the bed, Jareth knelt down and sighed,

"I'm so sorry, precious... Forgive, please..." He begged. The Goblin King stood slowly and left, his head hung low and his eyes distant.

He knew Sarah would never forgive him. He knew she would never speak to him.