12) That Awful Sound

Song attached to this chapter is "Bang Bang by Mark Boone Jr.". This chapter was inspired by the song and a headcanon I came across on Tumblr.

///

Jareth sat in his favorite chair, leaning back with his shirt parting open, exposing his thin chest. Sarah had gone to bed, leaving him alone again with his thoughts.

He hated it, being alone. Jareth almost felt the need to have Sarah around for company. The once flirtatious, playful and snobby Goblin King had now been demoted to being a lonely and shy creature.

The Goblin King lowered his head onto his desk, his face being held over the wood by his horns.

"I'm so sorry..." He muttered. Not exactly towards Sarah, but more to himself. His head turned to rest on his cheek, and he soon nodded off.

Jareth walked down a narrow pathway, dirtied with dry and fresh crimson blood. His boots moved over the corpses of goblins that lay before him. Someone has been killing them.

When he got to a clearing, there were dozens, if not thousands of goblin bodies that laid silently.

Another figure stood not far from himself, with a mask over the bottom half of their face and a clearly worn out cloak over the shoulders.

Snow began to stick to Jareth's horns, nearly turning them into sharp icicles. He took a step forward to get a better look at the figure's face, but he could only see a pair of pale jewel eyes. Eyes that were familiar.

"Sarah..." He mouthed. She removed her mask and grinned sinisterly before pulling out a gun, pulling the trigger with three bullets firing into Jareth's chest.

He fell to the cold and snowy ground, thudding and grunting. His own blood began to soak the white snow, and he struggled to breathe.

Sarah stood above him, revealing herself to being a goblin hunter. And Jareth seemed to qualify as one, given his current form.

"Sarah..." He rasped. His horns were grasped within her hands and she yanked with all her strength.

Jareth's head shot up, and his breathing was rapid with his heart pounding in his chest. His hands felt his chest for bullet holes, and none were found to his relief.

"Gods..." He sighed.