Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

'What of it?'

'What of it? You're a fool to get yourself involve in a Wizard's plot, that's what!' Warbler snapped. 'That girl is a pawn. She's being used as a goddamn scapegoat by someone vying for power! Now don't get me wrong, Wizards are often playing political games; rumours, smear campaigns, financial manoeuvres. Wizards are worse than bloody politicians at that kind of stuff! But murder? Now that is something big. Someone is playing a very big game for control of the Ivory Tower and Esme Dupont was an easy pawn to use. And what's scarier is no one is questioning this. This murderess already has control.'

Fox stared at Warbler, his head pounding as he kept thinking of Esme's poor magic he'd witnessed and Cuckoo's warnings. Thinking was hurting his head but he didn't want to show weakness. Not in front of Warbler. Fox snorted instead. 'You believe her? She's a Wizard though. She can get into heads.'

'With what spells exactly? I've looked in her Grimoire. She has four spells; light, fire, water, shield. All incredibly weak. She's barely a Wizard, Fox, let alone one that could summon a powerful plague to murder the Grand Wizard.' Warbler narrowed his eyes. 'And if you don't believe her, why do you help her?'

Fox flushed, suddenly uncertain about what exactly Warbler knew. Did Warbler not know about the blackmail?

'Just testin'.' He murmured, back-tracking a little. 'Dupont and me can't be too careful. Billy betrayed us after all.' He paused. 'What did she tell you?'

'She told me her events of the Ivory Tower, that Suellen Denver is the murderess, not her. She told me about her curse, something I witnessed myself the night we operated on you. She told me how you're helping her trying to get her innocence proven.' Warbler shook his shaggy head. 'Which I don't understand, Fox. Why put your neck on the line? You've always hated the elite and magic-folk.'

Fox stared at Warber. Dupont hadn't told him. She really hadn't told him. He just didn't get why. Was it save face for herself or for Fox? He instantly assumed it was to make herself look better but a small bit of him hoped she did it for him. That she understood how important his title was and protected him. He flushed a little at the hope. It was stupid.

'Just helpin' out. Murder is no good, Warbler, and Dupont's not so bad. Getting shot for something you didn't do though...I can't sit by.' Fox lied, his tongue growing thick as he tried to make himself look nothing more than a good samaratin. But if Dupont was painting herself in a good light, he'd do it too.

Warbler grunted. 'Well you've chosen a poor opportunity to do some good will. This thing is big Fox. We're talking about a plot to take control of the Ivory Tower, for whatever reason I don't know. Dupont muttered something about Denver wanting to destroy the Tower.' Warbler sighed. 'Dupont and I came up with a plan. Once you're better, I'll tell you more. For now though, I'll leave you be and send her to you.' Warbler stood, groaning as his body ached.

Fox watched him move across the room and grab the doorknob but he didn't leave. Instead Warbler turned to him, his eyes glittering.

'The girl never left your side for long, Fox. Kept holding your hand, getting involved in taking care of you. She was very worried about you.' Warbler smiled before he left the room.

Fox glowered as best as he could at the shut door but his heart fluttered oddly at the thought. His face heated up and he glanced down at his hand. He swore he could remembered something warm holding it regularly. Something smooth, small and soft.

'She was just worried about her guide dyin'.' Fox snapped at himself which just upset him further. The idea she only saw him as a thing made him depressed. But why did that even matter to him? It was ridiculous.