sechszehn: insomnia

MIA

I tossed and turned in my bed, feeling myself start to get frustrated as my hundredth attempt of trying to fall asleep failed. I've been having trouble sleeping these past few days and I knew that if I didn't go to sleep within the next 30 minutes, no amount of concealer would be enough to cover the dark circles under my eyes.

I sighed and looked at the clock on my table. It read 12:27 - telling me that I should already be asleep. I had to be up bright and early tomorrow for an interview at a local Dortmund radio station and I didn't need to be sounding groggy and tired.

Sadly enough, I knew why I couldn't sleep.

My mind ran wild with thoughts about Marco and all the possibilities that could come true.

He's hurt me before. He's broken my heart and trampled all over it and no matter how many times he says he was under the influence, it doesn't change the fact that he still did it. I really wanted to hate him. I wanted to move on and find someone else who wouldn't cheat on me with someone else while I was away - but I knew deep inside I wanted only Marco; that's how bad it got.

As I turned on my side to try and go to sleep, a text on my phone lit up my dark room. Squinting, I grabbed my phone and unlocked the screen to see an iMessage come in.

"Who..." my words trailed off when I saw a text from Marco.

Huh. What a coincidence. Fate was funny.

12:28

marco reus: mia, are u awake?

With shaky hands, I typed in the lamest reply ever.

12:28

mia bauer: yed

mia bauer: *yes

I nearly slapped myself just by how eager I seemed. I replied almost immediately and it made it seem like I was just sitting around and waiting for a text from him; and I managed to get a typo along the way. But right now, I didn't care about how my texts made me look. My heart was pounding at the thought of what he was going to say next.

12:29

marco reus: oh

marco reus: i'm kinda in your neighborhood and my phone's on 2%

marco reus: and my car's running out of gas

marco reus: can you maybe order me an uber?

My heart fell into the pit of my stomach as I read his texts over and over again. After his girlfriend broke up with him because of his supposed "inability" to love another girl but me, this is the kind of text I get. I was expecting a grand gesture or something that only happened in romantic comedies, but I knew I was expecting far too much.

12:32

mia bauer: okay

mia bauer: do you wanna meet up or something?

12:33

marco reus: sure

marco reus: i'll be at your place in 5

5 minutes? 5 minutes?!

I had 5 minutes to actually look presentable when I looked like an ogre. This was not how I was supposed to look when meeting my ex (possibly future) boyfriend. I rolled out of bed in a flash, feeling the weird giddy jolt in my stomach. I haven't felt this way in a long time. Not anytime since Marco and I were together.