acht: 25

MIA

25.

Damn, I was getting old.

I laid in bed for a few moments with a small smile on my face, just soaking everything in. I've had a crazy year and I had a feeling things were only going to get better from here.

I rolled over and grabbed my phone from the bedside table, taking off the charger and then rolling back so my blanket twisted around me, forming me into a burrito.

Already, the birthday wishes from fans and some of my other friends came in. I slid my thumb across the screen to reply to one of my old high school friends when my bedroom door busted open. My mom, dad and Alex came in singing happy birthday at the top of their lungs.

Alex was carrying the cake while trying desperately not to drop the huge cake. My mother was jumping up and down behind Alex and my dad was recording everything with an old video camera.

"Happy birthday, Amelia!" my mother said as soon as the song finished. I smiled at my family and got out of the burrito, thanking them all one by one with hugs. 

"Blow out the candles, Mia!" Alex said excitedly. I closed my eyes before blowing the candles out just like I always did and blew them out. My parents and Alex cheered happily before Alex set the cake down on a table near my bed.

"How did you guys get in?" I asked. "I'm pretty sure I locked my door." I laughed.

"Keys are under the flowerpot, everyone knows." my father said nonchalantly before cutting a slice of cake and setting it on a paper plate. He brought it over to me and handed it to me and then cut another slice for himself, my brother and my mother.

"What are your plans for today, Mia?" Alex asked me. "Got anything special planned?"

I shook my head and cut into the cheesecake before popping one into my mouth. "Nothing yet. Maybe just hang out with some of my friends, have dinner and stuff. You know, nothing too big." 

My iPhone started vibrating on the bed. I reached across the blanket for it and slid my thumb across the screen, seeing Anna's name light up on the centre of the screen. I held the phone to my ear expecting a very loud and very happy birthday wish - but instead, I got a monotone 'good morning'.

"Good morning to you too, Anna." I said.

"What are you doing today, no plans?" she asked. 

"Um, no..." I trailed off, feeling slightly hurt that she didn't even say happy birthday. 

Anna interrupted me, "Oh good!" she said. "Marco's taking you out for dinner tonight. Vincent and I booked you two a table in a restaurant already. He'll pick you up at 7, okay? Dress nice." 

"Oh, but I-" 

She hung up.

I huffed and tossed my phone away. Anna never forgot my birthday. Once, she even ordered a gorilla gram to come and surprise me on stage.

I groaned and fell back onto my bed before shovelling a huge amount of cake into my mouth.

+

I sat on my bed, putting on my black stilettos. I was wearing a black dress to go with it and my hair was curled. 

It was 7 on the dot and I was getting ready to go out for my 'date' with Marco. He hasn't said happy birthday to me either, but he did call to remind me that he was picking me up. My manager and my 'boyfriend' both forgot my birthday. What a great day. 

Moments later, I heard Marco honk his horn outside the house. I quickly grabbed my clutch and walked as fast as I could in stilettos. After locking the house, I walked towards his car in the driveway and opened the passenger door.