neun: mistakes

MIA

The first thing I felt when I woke up was numbness, followed by a pounding headache. I squinted the moment I opened my eyes and felt the sunlight poking at my eyes. I closed my eyes tightly and rolled over, deciding to go back to sleep when I felt my cheek touch something soft.

Soft and...human-y.

I opened my eyes again slowly and looked up to see Marco's sleeping face.

I suppressed the urge to scream as my eyes trailed from his peaceful face down to his shirtless torso. I shut my eyes tightly and opened them again expecting the image in front of me to disappear. But it didn't.

I slowly looked down at myself to see the blanket wrapped around my body snugly.

My heart began pounding inhumanly fast as I slowly backed away from Marco's body and off the bed. I quickly picked up my dress and undergarments from the floor and put them on as quickly as possible.

I barely remembered the night before. Only his arms wrapped around me and maybe a tiny kiss right after that. I never expected it to go this far.

Thankfully, we weren't at my place so I didn't have to do the honours of kicking him out into the cold. After I put my dress on and grabbed all my stuff, I carefully tiptoed to the door and quietly opened the door.

I haven't been to Marco's place in so long that I forgot the door made a creaking sound when it opened. I also forgot that Marco was a light sleeper and that anything could wake hup.

I bit my lip hard and closed my eyes shut, hoping he wouldn't wake up.

But apparently, today wasn't my day.

"Mia?" he asked drowsily. I turned around to look at him. He ran a hand through his hair and sat up, leaning against the headboard of the bed.

"Morning." I said weakly.

He looked around the room and then back at me.

"I have to go." I said.

"So soon?" he asked me, tilting his head. "I can drive you home. We can go get McDonald's breakfast on the way." he offered, moving to get out of the bed. I shook my head and stopped him just there.

"No, it's fine. Someone can pick me up."

"Are you sure they're awake? It's early, Mia. I can do it."

I shut my eyes tightly, not wanting to say the words that I so badly wanted to. But I had to.

"Marco, last night was a mistake," I said. I watched his face turn from peaceful to shocked to hurt in a span of 5 seconds. His rosy red cheeks paled and I knew his heart just broke for the hundredth time since he's been bound to this contract. "This wasn't supposed to happen. I mean, I barely remember anything from last night. I think it'll be better if we stay just...business partners. Okay?"

He nodded slowly, looking at the blankets. And I felt like I just kicked a puppy.

"I'm sorry, Marco." I whispered.

He looked up at me and nodded, "No, it's fine. I get it."

I offered him a small smile and I opened the door. "At least let me walk you out?" he offered. I turned back around and let out a sigh and he got the message. "Never mind. Shut the door on your way out." he said curtly before pulling the blankets to cover himself.

I gave him one last look before closing the door. I walked downstairs, holding in my tears as I bit down on my trembling lip to stop myself from breaking down in the middle of my ex's house. 

I took my phone out of my purse and went on to the Uber app and ordered myself one. I didn't want anyone seeing me like this and I just hoped that the driver was some old guy who didn't know who I was.

I tied my messy brown hair up into a bun and put on my shoes. I waited outside Marco's house for a few moments, thankful nobody passed by and recognised me standing there in a dress and high heels. I was in no mood to be judged while doing the walk of shame. 

My Uber showed up and I got in the car swiftly. My driver murmured a 'good morning' which I echoed from behind. He didn't say much, just made sure he got my address right to which I said a soft 'yes' to. And then he started driving to my house which wasn't too far away from Marco's.

After he pulled over, I thanked him for the ride and got out of the car. I made my way inside the house, unlocking the door with my key. I felt like a zombie as I dragged my feet upstairs to my room. I kicked off my heels, threw my bag to one corner of the room and collapsed onto my bed and finally let my tears fall.

MARCO

I laid in bed, staring up at my ceiling. I felt like an idiot thinking Mia and I actually had a chance to get back together. What happened last night meant nothing to her, but it meant a lot to me. 

She was the one who came over to me at the restaurant and started dancing with me. She was the one who kissed me first. And this morning, it was like she was a completely different person. 

Her smell lingered on my sheets and it made me want to throw gasoline all over my bed and then burn it. It just made me miss her more.

I glanced at my bedside table to see her earrings there. She must've taken them off last night and threw them there carelessly. I wanted to return them to her, but at the same time I also wanted to throw them into my burning bed fire. 

I miss her like crazy. I miss us practically living in each others' houses. I miss having her clothes in my drawers and having mine in hers. I miss having her close to me every night as we slept. I miss everything about her and it was slowly killing me inside. 

She needed me to move on from her. I had to move on from her. She hated that I was still hung up on her while she was trying to get on with her life. I was slowing her process and the both of us knew that but if that's what she wants from me, then she'll get it.

I was going to move on from Mia, and I was going to do it quick.

//

so this was a short n SAD chapter and i hate it

i have plans for the next few chapters already and i've already started writing them so hopefully you'll get quicker updates!! :) 

happy reading lovelies!xx