Chapter 18: Memories

When I wake up the next morning, the doctors tell me that I can go home after lunch. They have to run a test on me to make sure that my brain is okay. Which, I hope it is.
I already am excited to get back into the world. Go back to school and church. Man, I bet I missed a lot.
They run tests and x-rays and a billion other test that I don't know what to call. The doctors said they did some test while I was asleep, but that they wouldn't work as well as when my brain was awake.
Finally, I get to go home. I get to go home to my bed and room and family.
Braden picks me up, which I'm really surprised about.
He puts his arm around my shoulders and we walk out of the hospital together. He cranks up his truck and pulls out of the parking lot.
"I'm glad you're better," he tells me.
"I am, too," I smile. "It's good to be back."
"So," he smirks. "You and Eliot?"
I laugh and then stop.
"You okay?" he asks.
"Yeah, it's just," I can't find the right words. I didn't even know I was this sad or aware of it until now. "I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for stealing your best friend. I didn't know that it would get serious or anything. I didn't even know that he liked me."
"It's okay, Sarah Grace," Braden tells me. "You don't have to be sorry about that. And we are still best friends and everything."
"Good," I sigh. "Because I don't want to interfere or get in between your bromance or anything."
Braden smiles at that.
"You know," he says seriously. "Eliot really likes you. Like, a lot."
"I know."
"And he missed you. We all missed you."
"Yeah, I missed everyone, too. Except, it really didn't feel like 5 weeks to me. It felt just as long as sleeping on a regular night. When I woke up, and the doctors told me how long I was a sleep, I laughed a little inside. And then when I saw everyone come in and they were so sad, it hurt me, you know? It sorta broke my heart how much I hurt them."
"Don't do that to yourself, Sarah Grace. You know that it wasn't your fault. You can't beat yourself up over something you couldn't control," Braden tells me.
Tears start to fall down my face before I can even stop them. I didn't mean to upset anyone, and I know it wasn't my fault, but I still feel responsible. Why do I feel like it's my fault?
"Hey, don't do that," Braden says. He pulls over to the side of the road, still having about 10 minutes till we get home. He wipes my face from my tears and smiles at me.
"You can't do this. You didn't even do anything wrong. You don't believe me, do you?" he asks.
"I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I feel like it's my fault."
"Well, it's not. And even if it was, we would be here for you, Sarah Grace," Braden says.
"Thanks! I feel better already."
I quickly wipe the tears from my face and sniff my noes. I reach over and hug Braden. I promise you, I have the best big brother in the world.
He starts to drive again and I ask him a question.
"Do you happen to know where Eliot is taking me tonight?"
"Maybe," he smirks.
I let him have this, not wanting to drag it on because I know he won't tell me.
I turn the radio on and start to singing to the song "Counting Stars." Yeah, we usually listen to Christian music, but I have this weird feeling for this song and I have no idea why.
I don't have issues with singing out loud, even though I have a terrible voice. I'm one of those people that can't sing, but sing all the time.
Braden pulls into the driveway and I get out. Surprisingly, my ankle doesn't hurt.
I go inside and smell the air of home sweet home.
"Welcome home, sweetheart!" my mom says while giving me a hug.
"Hey, mom! It's great to be back," I sigh. I get a little light headed and try to shake it off, but my mom knows me too well.
"Are you okay, honey?"
"I'm fine. I'm just really lightheaded and have a little bit of a head ache."
"Do you need to lay down?" she asks.
"I think I might."
I don't want to be all sick, but I need to rest for my date tonight. Right! I need to ask my mom.
"Hey, mom? I know I don't feel good, but Eliot asked-"
"Of course you can go!" she says, cutting me off from my gibberish. "Eliot already asked me. And I said yes. Since it's just you and him, now. You can always go out with him."
I give her another hug and head up to my room to lie down. Grabbing my phone, I lie down on my bed. Guess I need to call Eliot.
I dial his number and he picks up on the third ring.
"Hello?" he asks.
"Hey! It's Sarah Grace!"
"I know it's you." He laughs.
"Sorry. I was wondering if you could tell me where we are going."
"Nope, no can do."
Great! I won't be able to get him to budge either.
"Can you at least tell me what the appropriate dress wear for me is?"
"Anything really."
"I need more than that, Eliot," I sigh. Boys! "Do I need to wear a nice dress, a sun dress, jeans and a t-shirt, what?"
"Wear a sun dress, but that's all I'm telling you."
"Thanks, that's all I need to know."
"What time should I pick you up?" he asks.
"Anytime with me is fine." I shrug even though he can't see.
"How about 5?"
"That's fine, I'll be ready then."
"Bye, Sarah Grace!"
"Bye, Eliot!"
And then I hang up.
We don't do what normal High School couples do with the 'I loves yous' because really? The normal "couples" during High School stay together for what? Like a week or less? It's sad, really. Then, they brush it off and move onto the next person.
I sigh to myself and lay back on my bed. I don't feel sick, I'm just tired. But, I don't want to sleep. I decide, after much tossing and turning, to just lay and rest.
I think of all the girls I know that would be good for Joshua. Hmmm.... I did promise him that I would find her. I look throw the "files" in my brain.
Ruth would be good for him. Except, she isn't a dating type and likes someone else.
Elizabeth?
Nah. She has a thing for more outgoing guys. And blondes.
A-ha!
I know the perfect girl for him.
She has blonde curls that come around her face and make her look adorable. She is taller than me, but shorter than Joshua. She loves the shy guys and she is sweet, just like he is.
I think I will call her later. I would right now, but I seem to be getting a little sleepy.
And then I drift off to the possibilities of our date.