Chapter 7- The Invite

"Woah," I say, standing up too. I put my hand up to stop him. "One, that's not romantic enough. And two, you don't know that she has liked you since fifth grade. Remeber, you don't know anything."

"Right, right." he nods, sitting back down. "Then what should I do?"

I think for a minute. I know I have to do it perfectly so Alyssa doesn't know I told him. Plus, I have to make it romantic. This will be harder than I thought.

"I got it!" I exclaim. "I know exactly what we should do."

"Ok," he smiles. "Care to share?"

I laugh.

"Well," I go on. "Don't you like suprises?"

"Usually, but this is a....special circumstance." he gives me the puppy look. "Please!"

"Fine."

I tell him my plan.

"Sounds great to me. Let's do it!"

.........

Alyssa and I sit at the table the next day at lunch, her looking sad because she doesn't have a date to the dance, me smiling from ear to ear.

"Sarah Grace?" she asks.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"I know this is going to sound weird, but" she stops.

"But what?"

"I got this strange note in my locker today." she takes out this piece of notebook paper. On the paper it reads:

I know this is insane

And sometimes I can be a pain.

But take this question to heart.

Will you go to the dance with me?

Love,

Your secret admirer

"Wow!" I gasp. "This is great! Who do you think it is?"

"Well, I hope it is someone, but I doubt it." she says, sadly.

It breaks my heart to see her this way. I want to tell her that Paul really does like her, alot. I want to tell her it was him. But I can't. I have to stick to the plan!

"Doubt what?" Paul says, setting his lunch tray beside mine.

"Oh nothing." Alyssa says, blushing 12 shades of red.

"You know what you need?" he smiles.

"What?" she asks.

"You need truth."

Wait. What? I'm pretty sure this wasn't the plan. But he's on a role and it seems like he wants to do it differently.

"Truth?" she stampers. "What do you mean truth?"

"Well, listen Alyssa." he says, seriously. She listens.

"I know that we have been friends for a long time. But, I don't know, something's changed. I don't think I want to be your friend anymore." he got her, hard. I think she is actually crying. Well, wanting to. I don't think Paul likes it this way, so he keeps on.

"Don't get me wrong, Alyssa. I want to be friends with Sarah Grace. Just not you anymore."

The tears start streaming down her face.

"What? How could this be? I mean-" he doesn't let her finish.

"Alyssa, listen carefully. I don't want to be friends with you. I want to be more than friends. I've liked you ever since you corrected all the teachers in fifth grade, told them all the mistake on their tests and all their grammatical mistakes on homework. I've just been scared that you didn't like me. How would you like to go to the dance with me?"

I thought she was crying before. Now, it's more like sobbing.

"Yes!" she tries to calm down. "Of course."

.......

After school, we head for the beach. I text my mom and tell her when I'll be home, and where I am at.

"Did you really think that I would have broken our friendship?" Paul asks, sitting down.

"Well, yeah I did." she blushes. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what?" he asks.

"Ohhhh..... just for everything." he just frowns.

"Well, to begin, I made you feel sorry for me. You can go to the dance with whoever you like. I know you just felt sorry for me." she states.

"No," he says, unbelievingly. "I would never do that. All that I said at lunch was true." He stands up.

Now, I seriously have no clue what he is going to do. Alyssa was suppose to be happy, not questioning everything.

He walks over to her, takes her hand, helps her up, and gives her a hug.

I actually think that I begin to cry. Paul is WAY more romantic than I thought.

"You know," Alyssa begins. "I believe you."

"Good." he says.

He kisses her cheek, picks up his stuff, and walks down the road.

I look at Alyssa and I think she might scream.