Chapter 4- Punching Paul

The rest of lunch went by in a breeze. I tried not to make it to obvious that I liked Eliot, but it was pretty hard.

I also tried to hide my smile. He just makes me feel so good inside!

That feeling of sitting on the couch in a blanket with a fire going while it snows.

Or, drinking hot cocoa on your bad days.

In no time, it's time for math. Math is my least favorite subject. Math hates me, and I hate math.

Our teacher, Mrs. Waggoner, is a wonderful teacher, but I just hate math. I'm also that 'gifted' child that over thinks everything.

Today math lesson was a review of the Pythagorean Theorem. A review from

eighth grade! Now that was a LONG time ago!

When math is done, I have connection classes. I have P.E. and art this semester and I'm not complaining.

When P.E. is over with, I can finally talk to Alyssa by myself because Paul isn't in art and I get her to myself.

Today, we are sculpting. When we sculpt, it is really loud so you won't be able to here our conversations. I love art!

I tell Alyssa how I felt about Eliot. The warm feelings I got, the memories I had, everything. I know I can trust Alyssa with anything, and she thinks the same way about me.

When the day is over, Alyssa comes home with me. We head to the beach because the water is still pretty warm. We put on our bathing suits and go swim.

After getting enough exercise, we have a picnic on the beach!

Picnics on the beach are the best! You feel the heat and saltwater. You feel energized and pumped!

Alyssa and I have smoothies, fruit, and sandwiches. My mother knows exactly what to pack.

We finish eating and lay back in the sand. When you live in Florida, you get used to the sun. You get used to the sand. Even the waves. One thing you don't get used to is the great feeling of energy and power. That feeling you just can't put into words!

When a few minutes pass in silence, Alyssa finally breaks the tension.

"You know," she begins. "I'm glad for a friend like you. You have stuck with me since Elementary School even though I didn't fit in. That's a true friend."

"Couldn't agree more." I say. "And sorry for all this boy drama."

"Are you kidding?" she asks. "What else would we do in High School?"

I just laugh.

"Remember that time you punched that kid in the face?" she asks.

"Yeah." I reply.

I really do remember. It was in the third grade. We were at recess and some guy was making fun of Alyssa. I really wasn't that close to her yet, but you don't just go around making fun of people. He called her a nerd for reading at recess. I walked over to him and hit him square in the cheek. Lets just say I'm not good at aiming because I wanted to hit his nose. I got in trouble at school, but I explained to parents that he was making fun of her and I didn't get in trouble. Ever since then, we've been like sisters.

"He deserved it." I admitted. "He was mean."

"Do you even remember who it was?" she asks.

"No. Do you."

"Yes, but that person doesn't." she hesitates.

"Well, who was it?" I ask with anticipation.

"Well, it was Paul."