Chapter 6- More than a friendship

Even though we spend ALL of our time together, yet, Paul still doesn't know, surprises me. We've been hanging out at the beach, each other's house, and church for years. Alyssa has liked him for a long time, too. She is good at putting her guard up, but seriously, Paul, take a hint!

"Sarah Grace! Paul's here!" My brother yells.

"Ok, I'm coming!" I scream back.

I take the stairs, two at a time, and meet Paul at the bottom.

"Hey Paul!" I say, giving him a hug.

"Hey Ginger!" he says back, grinning. "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Oh right," I take his hand and lead him down the hall, out the doors, and we head down the street to the icecream shop.

We buy two icecreams, cotton candy for me and chocolate for him, and head to the beach.

We sit in the sand, enjoying our icecream. Mine is blue, and has a sharp flavor!

"Ok," I begin. "First off, who do you plan on taking to the dance?"

"Well, if I could take anyone, that is, if they didn't have dates, I would take Claire." he says.

I roll my eyes.

Claire.

Claire is Braden's girlfriend. She has dark-brown curls, light-blue eyes, and is also tall. She is a cheerleader. Let me just say she isn't my role model, or the best person to date my brother in my opinion. But does anyone want mine? NO!

I know I shouldn't hate anyone, but she is definitely in my dislike box.

She has a really big head, is WAY to peppy, and SO fake. Everything about her is fake. Her hair, her nails, her voice, her actions, and her personality around my brother.

"Anyone that isn't taken? I ask, trying to calm down.

"Not anyone in particular. Why? Is something wrong?" Paul asks, looking concerned.

"No, nothing is wrong. It's just that," I take a deep breath. "It's just that I know someone that wants to go with you, but is scared what you might think."

"Oh," Paul frowns. "Who is it?"

"That's the hard part." I say, picking up sand and squeezing it.

"Do you promise not to tell ANYONE a single word?"

"Yes," he says.

"An especially that I told you?" I ask, nervous that he will forget his promise.

"I promise," he agrees.

"Ok," I take a deep breath. "The girl that likes you is Alyssa."

"Alyssa? Like our Alyssa?" he asks, shocked.

"Yes, our Alyssa!" I smile. "She has liked you since fifth grade. She started liking you when you gave that kid your lunch because the bully stole it. "

"Wow!" he smiles. "I thought no one remembered those days. Is that when I became friends with y'all?"

"Yeah," I say, feeling a whole lot better. "This is great!" he states. "I'm going to ask her to go to the dance with me. I can't believe she has liked me all this time."

"Well, she has. She has been trying to hide it. She has been wanting to ask you out for the last two or three years. Every time you asked another girl out, it has lowered her confidence." I say, not trying to sound like it hurt her.

"I didn't know she felt like that. Why didn't I notice?" he asks, curiously.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe you didn't notice her as more than a friend." I say, thinking of the options myself.

Paul jumps up and says; "I'm going to ask her now, and tell her I've liked her since fifth grade, too."