Chapter 10- The Dance

The next week goes by in a blur. Looking back, I can vaguely remember only some details.

The family eating together, my mother and I shopping for a dress on Tuesday, and my little brothers showing me all their inventions.

Then, finally, it's Friday night.

Time for the dance.

I get ready.

I'm going with a guy in tenth grade. A year above me.

His name is Joshua Hendrix.

He is about 5'11 with dark, almost black, hair. He also has deep brown eyes. He wrote me a really nice note and stuck it in my locker, asking if I wanted to go to the dance with him. I, of course, said yes. I didn't know him that well, but I thought, hey! What's a better time to get to know a person?

When my mom is finished with me, I see what I look like.

I have a long, one shoulder strap, baby blue dress on, with this beadlike belt. I'm wearing sparkly earrings and a matching necklace. My hair is braided back into a tight bun. I grab my tall, silver high heals. Except, that are not that tall. They only make me a few inches talker.

"You look beautiful." my mom says.

"Thank you." I respond, giving her a hug.

I look back up into the mirror and see the matching blue eyeshadow I have on. I have on mascara, too. I hope I can get to know Joshua.

When Joshua comes, he brings me a blue rose.

"It's very pretty." I thank him.

My mother takes pictures of the two if us, and then Joshua takes me to the dance.

His car is a red mustang, and I wonder if it really is his.

He is in a black tuxedo. He also has a blue rose pinned to his jacket.

He opens the door, and helps me in.

I smile and thank him, such a gentlemen.

It's all black leather on the inside. It looks bring new. Maybe a couple weeks old.

On the way there, I try to get to know him.

"So, Joshua, tell me about yourself." I say.

"Well, where to begin? You already know my name is Joshua Hendrix. My father owns several big companies across Florida." That explains the car. "I'm 16 and in the tenth grade." And he goes on and on until we get to the school.

Joshua helps me out of the car.

We walk inside and I automatically see Braden and Claire. I almost laugh out loud. At least I won't have to see Claire at home anymore.

"Would you like something to drink?" Joshua asks.

"Sure." I respond.

I look around to what used to be our gym. Now, it's decked out with streamers, a stage, a band, and a disco ball. Tables are covered with foods and drinks.

I walk over to where Braden stands. I look at at him and give him a wink. This is going to be good! I mouth, Now. "Hey, Claire?" he questions. "Why don't you get all of your friends together for a group picture?"

She smiles.

It's fake though.

"Sure. That's a great idea!" she says, while she walks away.

She comes back with all her "friends."

Joshua walks up, handing me the punch, and asks, "What are we doing?"