Alluring In Blood -6

______________________________________________________________     

        I ran into the classroom panting heavily. The forest trees decided to abuse me and scratched my entire body with their sharp branches giggling madly the entire time. I just barely managed to make it to class alive. I knew Elizabeth wouldn't go easy on me for tardiness.

      Elizabeth was seated there with a knowing look and a faint smirk, I puffed my cheeks out nervously. “Welcome Audrey so glad you decided to grace us with your presence, now sit down.” I did as told and took my usual seat feeling uneasy. “We left off at the lesser vampires right?” I nodded. “Well let’s make this lesson exciting.” Elizabeth said snapping her fingers twice.

      The scene melted and was replaced with a much gloomier one. A Gothic Victorian mansion rose high in front of us, surrounded by a dense forest, the branches of the dead trees lining its borders sorrowfully leaning over the clearing.. The sun was obscured by gray clouds, and up ahead the crows glared by the front porch. Puzzled, I looked at Elizabeth. “That’s where the 2nd vampires were raised.” She answered in a blank tone.

      “R-really now?” I sputtered disbelief covered my entire face. “Can we go in then?” Elizabeth nodded. “I cannot join you though, so you got a hour before you return. This time...don't mess it up.” With that said, she vanished, leaving me and the crows alone.

      I walked to the porch scaring all the crows away except for one that decided to glare even more heavily at me, I glared back and resisted flipping it off reminding myself it was just a crow. The door was ajar; it creaked slightly as I gently pushed it open. Bite marks dented the wooden doorframe, and the mansion was rotting away; green fungi leached up the banisters and support beams, poison ivy crawled over the sides and through holes in the window shutters, broken debris littered the floor and a thick film of white dust layered every surface. I grimaced, scrunching up my nose.

      "Holy!" I yelled as the crow darted past me almost dragging my hair along with it. I scowled but dragged my eyes away from the crow, it's image shrinking as it flew away. I studied the mansion once more and debated whether to go in, risk breaking the floor and falling through or waiting an hour by my spot till Elizabeth calls me back.

      I closed my eyes taking a deep breath and passed through the door waiting for the crack and heavy thud indicating my body managed to land. After a while of silence I peaked through a eyelid and saw a breathtaking mansion, the gold glimmered looking recently shined, the wood waxed and looking sturdy, the marble gleaming brightly that it even hurt my eyes.

     My grin would have split my face, I paced the hallway looking through each room excitedly, it was empty though, but that didn't taint my good spirits. I stopped at the room by the staircase at what I supposed was the seating room, it was the only room that had an portrait.

      I walked in silently, my eyes trained on the woman. She was caramel skinned, thick white hair braided into a French bun, dressed in an elegant gleaming crimson gown as red as blood. A deep blue locket hung by her delicate neck and was settled a few inches below her collar bone, almost as if it were made for her. She stared at me with twinkling gray eyes, the same knowing smile hanging upon her lips. Unlike Elizabeth's one the smile wasn't sinister.

       I wondered if she was Cecile, mother of the Vampires. But suddenly, a cry interrupted my sad thoughts. It sounded faint as if coming upstairs from one of the many rooms of the mansion. I traced the portrait and blew off the dust that came on my finger, before I left with slight tears in my eyes. I clanked myself up the wide stairs still passing none of the vampires, straining my ears relying completely on instinct to find the cries that only got louder with each step.