Alluring In Blood -16

I followed Mother quietly through the quiet empty square. I always cherished the time I’m allowed to leave the castle and the entire kingdom for the neighboring kingdom instead. The town was grey but for our arrival, decorating with our crest colors. Purple, silver and light blue banners with a golden crown centered in the middle.

     I smiled at the houses, where little children just around my age looked through the cracked windows before running deep in again. “The kingdom just won the war,” Mother had told me before we arrived, along with a long speech but I zoned out. “They’re not like us at the moment, but never look them in that way.”

     That way, simply meant looking down at them. I’m not sure why she told me that, I would never. I carried my gown over a puddle, slightly starting to feel cautious. Is it safe for a Queen to walk around a town that in any moment be attacked? The war never ended for this kingdom.

     Gigolos, my trainer, drilled into my head suspicion. “Never accept food out of the kingdom castles. Never take silence as a moment to let your guard down. Never smile at the princes. Never talk during the dinner or ceremony. Always keep your chin up and watch over your Mother, Princess Sophia.”

       I had to muffle my giggles at the princes. I still had to keep my façade of being my Fathers prodigy; I was anyway in a way since I didn’t inherit any of Mothers traits. Instead, I was cold, if not rarely sentimental.

       I declared myself my Mothers protector since she’s the type to refuse guards to accompany her anywhere, stating it would scare the peasants away. Not that anything ever happened, everyone loved her too much, and even the enemies hesitated with her.

      Staring at the long mane of blonde hair she kept braided in elegant knots, I smiled at the back of her head and turned to frown around the town. We were leaving it behind almost, nearing the dense forest. “Mother?”

     She hushed me quickly, and kept walking. I bit my lip and immediately went to trace my locket that tended to keep my calmness showcased. I looked back to the nearest house, shutters tightly closed, not a soul in sight no. Even the whispers stopped.

     Slowly Mothers serene demeanor turned panicked. I felt her stiffen, dropping my gaze from the locket, I saw her shuffling nervously in her new gown. The fit I threw for it seemed distant as my thought circled, aging me. “What’s the matter Mother?” I asked sternly. My blonde hair picked up as the wind grew fierce.

     My face turned into a scowl as I tried to hide my fear. Mother stayed in her position, shaking slightly. Was she crying? I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, and cautiously crept forward.

“Is that her then?”  A masculine voice asked.

     I jumped startled, and turned to face a man in a cloak. I turned just in time, to see Mother nodding sadly. The child in me, curious for the man in red ignored the panicked warnings my head screamed.  “Hello Sophia.” He purred.

I curtseyed as my Mother did, raising an eyebrow and murmured, “Hello sir.”

      The man in red boomed into deep laughter. “Sir Julian, Princess.” Sir Julian informed me amused. I frowned not happy with his taunting tone. Who is the man that seemed to frighten my Mother? “Princess, want to know something?” He beckoned a pale finger, asking me silently to come closer.

      I hesitated and looked at Mother who seemed to have paled, her hands visibly shaking. She caught my eye and nodded encouragingly. I took a few steps forward, the man towering me. He seemed as tall as the trees in my eyes. His hood obscured everything, keeping a dark sinister shadow where his face is.