Alluring In Blood -19

I’m foolish. I’m deficient. I’m vulnerable. I’m naïve. I’m gullible. I’m rash.

      I cursed myself as I stared at cloudless morning sky. Landon stirred beside me but I stayed my position wanting a moment to myself to chastise myself. Why did I just not give myself to Devin and act as his spy? Now I landed us on his hit list. Only when I saw the man I killed from the alley getting tortured did it occur to me what a mistake I did, the consequences I brought.

      Devin is not a power to mess with. I’m just a vampire weakling who he created with no chance on defeating him much less escaping him. Sure now I’m safe within these school walls, but for how long? How long will it take Devin to find a way in? Not long now, he has two big motives.

Destroy The Heavens and kill the two that dared to –

      “I know what you’re thinking. Stop it, there was no way you could work under him.” Landon said finally interrupting my conversation with myself. I twisted my head and saw him staring at the forest trees with a mixture of satisfaction. “Evil never wins.”

      “It won on earth Landon.” I pointed out wearily. I twirled the locket that Julian made sure I get before Devin sent me out of his body. The very same locket I picked up from Cecile’s home where I first met Julian.

     “But there’s good on earth too, it’s balanced out. Joining Devin will wipe out all goodness!” Landon said fiercely. I looked away as he turned to me with angry amber eyes. “I don’t know anymore, nothing is right.”

     “What do you want?” Landon asked, the calmness returning to his voice. My lips twitched into a faint lips and I fished the list from my jeans. My smile dropped when I got the paper that held no signs of mutation of going through water.

-          Help Devin.

     The list continued with my previous ones crossed out with red ink. My nose picked up a trace of blood, I closed my eyes and quickly crumbled the paper before Landon could look properly. “I don’t know.” I lied gently. I’ll continue my old list, discover the spheres and their aura.

    I might be bonkers but the spheres have something to do with The Heavens, maybe it’ll help me reach them and warn them about Devin. Maybe I should work for Devin as a double-spy. I stopped myself, wanting my old life back.

“You don’t trust me anymore then?” Landon asked quietly.

“Not anymore.” I confirmed,

“Do you still feel anything for me?”

      “I…no,” I muttered, trying to explain as best as I could. “The vampire side of me does but the Audrey doesn’t. I do know it’s not a big deal, we only knew each other a short time. But finding out from Devin that Clarisse isn’t who she claimed she is and then you…” I trailed off.

     “I’ll explain everything.” Landon promised. I shrugged and started to get up but Landon grabbed my hand stopping me and looked me in the eyes. He still had the effect to have my head go light and dizzy but something lacked.

     “Guess I’ll have to win your heart all over again.” Landon said confidently. I laughed before I delivered the blow. “You never won my heart, I gave it away to easily.”

       Landon chuckled and shook his head. “You’re stubborn. I find that utterly charming.” I smiled cheekily, our relationship quickly falling back into the ease that it is. “Promise me you won’t ever consider working for Devin.” Landon said, completely changing his demeanor and the vibe of the forest. I fleetingly wondered what happened to Zorya.