42 - Backfire

"Do you still think it's best to keep her in the dark?" IronHide snarled at Optimus, beyond displeased with the turn of events. Not only had Fay been captured, but by an ally rather than an enemy. If it had been the ‘Cons, at least they could charge in, guns blazing and take her back by force. They had to be civil with NEST. IronHide got along with their human comrades quite well, really, but he wasn’t fond of the situation. It was beyond frustrating, and incredibly grating on his nerves. “What if the Decepticons ambush them while she’s there? We already know their ability to track her down! What are we waiting for, Prime?”

Optimus huffed, shaking his helm, pinching the metal between his optics. “The Decepticons were tracking our activity to find her more so than they were finding her on her own, IronHide.”

“Would you like to confront Barricade with that theory?” The weapons specialist retorted, crossing his arms, refusing to give to his commanding officer. He knew about the ambush that had taken place. He knew what had happened that day. And how Fay had been lucky to get away. Luckier still that Bumblebee had been tailing her and had given her the window to make a break for it. He’d just been grateful that Fay had had the sense to take the window to make a run for it and not look back. Had she taken even a glimpse, she would’ve seen Barricade and Bumblebee exchange blows. All over her freedom.

Optimus’s mouth turned down in disapproval and he shot Barricade a restrained glare. “IronHide, we do not have time to argue. We must get things arranged. I’ve already come to the conclusion that she shall know tonight of us. Of everything she’s involved in. She is to meet you and the rest of the team.”

“Well it’s about slagging time, Optimus!” IronHide shouted, frustrated, despite the fact that the Prime had finally decided to heed his advice and let Fay know about them. About everything she was trapped in.

Jazz raised an optic ridge, listening quietly. Things had been fairly tense between the Prime and the weapons master as of late. And he had his own suspicions that it was because of more than just some ignored advice or the stress of having to watch over Fay. Or some believing that others weren’t doing a well enough job watching over the girl. In all truth, he would probably be defensive, too, yelling at Prime over something fickle, but IronHide seemed to be doing enough of that for both of them.

“You didn’t let me finish, IronHide,” Optimus told him. “If you cannot restrain yourself, you will not be allowed to be present when she becomes wise to our world.”

“She’s already wise, Prime! The only problem is that everything’s been wiped clean! You know as well as I do that she knows us! She knows the ‘Cons! The thing is she can’t remember us or them! AllSpark slag it, Prime! What happens if we’re too late and she chooses them because she didn’t know us? Because she didn’t know she had a choice?” IronHide’s vents came raggedly, angrily. He was beyond displeased. He nearly shook in his anger, but somehow managed to keep his metal from rattling. It was no easy task. He knew he was taking a chance, talking back to Optimus and all, but he was sick of waiting. He’d been patient for so long. Or, he’d tried at least. And look what had happened.

It had taken much too long for them to get to this point. He didn’t like it. He didn’t like that it had taken so ridiculously long for them to reach this. It should have been simple. It should have been expected. She should have been told the truth the day of the accident.

He knew she’d been young, but she would’ve grasped part of the concept, at least. And it would have changed so many things . . . She could have been raised by the Autobots, learning how to defend against the Decepticons, against her primal urges. She could have learned how to control herself and hone her abilities supervised. She would have been safe. She would have been okay.