30 - Fair

The lights felt blinding as Fay slowly came around. Everything felt louder, brighter, a buffet of sensory overload, any one of them completely capable of giving her a headache. It was already pounding, but when she recalled her last sensations, that was completely reasonable.

    “Filly . . .” He uttered the word breathlessly, as she woke, watching her for any indication of how she was feeling. Ratchet’s holoform had done his best to patch her up before the EMT’s arrived. It had worked even better than they’d hoped, which was saying something considering they’d had their sights high for damage control.

    She groaned, moving her forearm in front of her eyes. “What the hell . . . ? What’d you hit me with, Harvey . . . ? A baseball bat . . . ? Jackass . . .”

    Optimus gave a half-hearted laugh. The medication was most definitely working the way it should’ve, but her mind would return to her quickly as she flushed it out of her system. “Harvey didn’t do this, Farrah . . . You were in an accident . . .”

    “What jackhole crossed the median . . . ?” She asked, fumbling over her words like she were trying to jump hurdles that nearly came to her chest. She could make it over, just not cleanly.

    “It’s a long story, Filly . . . And . . .”

    “And whaht . . . ?” She asked drowsily, irritated, but not processing things quite right. He wondered if she would recall this conversation at all in the future. No. Now was certainly not the time to inform her of her difference. It would have to wait a few more days at least.

    “And now is not the time,” he said gently.

    She groaned, trying to roll over, stopping at the feel of the IV in her arm. “I hate you . . .” She mumbled, eyes closing as her arm dropped back down. He gave a smile, concern written across his lips. The accident had been too much of a close call.

    The Decepticons were honing in on her.

    ~~~

    He watched the car strike the side of Harvey’s truck, transforming partway into the impact, only sending the vehicle farther than it would have already. It tumbled and turned until it landed on it’s passenger side in the field. Optimus immediately drove off the interstate, narrowly missing cars that honked their horns in irritation.

    He transformed and ran towards where Barricade had opened the driver’s side door, dispatching his holoform promptly. The black and white Decepticon scowled as he stopped his activity to turn to the Prime.

    “Do you ever take a day off?” He asked with a scoff, metal hands perfectly prepared to to scrap with the larger mech, to distract him for a while if necessary. He would have reinforcements if he so asked for them. Optimus had already contacted Ratchet and IronHide for back-up.

    “Not when so many of you are around,” Optimus replied calmly, optics firm as he evaluated the dangerous, smaller Decepticon. “Not when you still pose a threat.”

    “Threat!” The Decepticon actually laughed, mocking the Prime, causing his blue optics to narrow. “The real threat is that girl! You just don’t want us to help her realize her potential! You don’t want Lord Megatron to have her fulfill her destiny.”

    “She has a right to choose what she shall call her ‘destiny’, Barricade,” Optimus replied in a low tone. “What you believe to be her status may not be true to her.”

    “Oh? Do you know what she’s capable of then, Prime? Did you see what she did to those men? We found her then, too. We observed her. We saw the carnage she left in her wake! And you know the best part of it all?” He paused, as if waiting for Optimus’s answer. None came, which only made Barricade smirk. “She ENJOYED their pain . . . You know her true purpose as much as the rest of us.”