23 - Who Knew?

~~~

    “Harvey! Harvey where are you two?” Cynthia called from inside the house. Harvey smiled, pulling Fay closer where they sat outside in the grass.

    “Shouldn’t you answer her?” The small girl asked, looking up at the black haired man questioningly. He chuckled, shrugging.

    “She’ll figure it out. She always does. Now. Point out the Gemini constellation for me, would you?”

    “Must I?”

    “Yes, Fair, the stars and space are very important. You can only imagine what’s out there.”

    “What is out there?” She looked from the dark sky to his face, eyes wide and vulnerable, curious. He smiled.

    “Everything that isn’t here, little girl . . . Now where’s Gemini. And when you’re done with that one, point out Cancer.”

    Fay sighed, rolling her eyes. “Fine,” she replied, scanning the open sky for the constellations. She spotted Taurus  which was beginning to disappear from the astrological scene. After a bit of focusing, she found Gemini, and cautiously pointed to it. “There . . .” She said, describing a few points until he was satisfied that she was certain. Then she moved on to Cancer, scanning for it in the distance. “I think it’s . . .”

    Her voice trailed off as she tried to confirm it’s position in the dark, when they were interrupted. “Hey! Mom’s been calling for you guys!” It was a young man’s voice. Fay giggled as the footsteps approached them from the porch and into the grass. “Do you like angering her or something?”

    Harvey chuckled, refusing to get up from where the pair lay in the grass. “She knows we come out here. What’s the problem?”

    “The problem is you know better than to take off with Farrah without saying anything.”

    “Chill, Jaxson!” Fay exclaimed, eyes fierce but bright with joy. “We’re safe.”

    The young blonde man laughed. “And you say I’m teaching her the attitude? I don’t think so!”

    Harvey chuckled, kissing the top of Fay’s head. “Yes, yes, Jax . . . So she’s getting an attitude, so what? Girl needs it. It’ll be an excellent weapon for her later on. She’ll be putting troublesome boys in their place, even when I’m not around. Won’t you?”

    He turned his eyes to her, and Fay nodded eagerly. “Always!”

    “Always, what, Fay?”

    “Always, Sir!” She saluted him, snickering and he grinned.

    “No boy is going to break your heart, is he? You’ll be the little heartbreaker around here.” Jaxson rolled his eyes and Harvey shot him a glare, but smiled at Fay.

    “‘Course not, I’ll make you proud-!”

    That was when the image slipped in something completely different. Fay stopped calling the name she wanted to as the seat belt snapped against her chest. She’d lost it. She’d lost the best dream she’d had in how long and it was back to this . . . Fay rushed out of the truck immediately, sprinting over to the silver car that was dented, broken and burning.

    “No!” She pulled on the passenger door roughly, her shoulder jerking unnaturally in the process. It hurt, but it didn’t matter. She had to open that door immediately. She had to get them out. She ran around to the other side, trying to open the driver’s side door, even though she knew it would be wedged shut from the impact just as it was every other time.