C H A P T E R 10: Logan.

Start from the beginning

"Yeah?" she replied back.

"Is there a specific reason as to why you called or did you just wanna' hear me breathe?" I asked. I'm not the type to sit quietly on the phone. If we were on the phone, you needed to talk about something interesting, and you needed to be special; Jordan wasn't anymore. Plus,

   If I wanted silence, I'd go to the library.

   The fact that my ex Jordan knew that boring conversations, topped with silence over the phone, were my pet peeve's irritated me even more. When she didn't respond back to my question, I repeated it again, "Is there a specific reason as to why you called, or did you just wanna' hear me breathe?" I asked.

   Jordan laughed. "No," she answered. Jordan cleared her throat and then spoke. "I just wanted to check on you, boo." she continued. "I haven't heard from you in a lil' minute." she reminded. "I've heard things about you, and I just wanted to make sure you were cool."

    I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "I don't need you to check up on me."

"Why you don't need me to check up on you?" she asked, attitude evident in her voice.

"You know why, Jordan," I answered. "You ain't give a fuck when we were together, you ain't give a fuck when I fought dude over you, and I know you don't give a fuck right now."

    The line went silent. I could tell Jordan was analyzing what I had just said to her. It was no secret that Jordan was still feelin' me, and to keep it a hunnit, I'd be a lie if I said I wasn't feelin' her back. Hell, I'm still in love with shorty, but she will never know or feel that love ever again from me. I laughed out loud.

"What's so funny?" she asked.

"What's funny?" I repeated. I took a second to reflect on all the grimey shit she had put me through over these last couple of months. With a delayed response, I said, "You know it's amazing."

"Huh?" she asked, confused. "What you mean, it's amazing?"

    Addressing her confusion, I answered, "It's amazing how you can sit here and act as if it ain't no beef between us shorty."

"Mmm," she replied nonchalantly, and then the line went quiet.

"Hello?" I said rudely.

   Jordan took a deep breath and then responded, "Yeah, I'm here." she cleared her throat. "That's part of the reason why I called you Logan," she told me. "I'm sorry." she apologized.

    I laughed. "Sorry?" I repeated. "Oh, so, now you sorry, Jordan?" I questioned. "After you left me for a bum ass nigga, you wanna' be sorry?" I wondered. "Get the fuck off my line, shorty."

"Would you just wait and listen?" she asked.

"Listen to what?" I repeated. "What you got to say, Jordan?" I asked.

"I just wanna explain what really happened Logan," she answered.

"Explain what?" I asked. Before she could answer, I continued talking. " Explain how you a no-good female? How you all of a sudden, wanna' come back?" I asked. "I don't wanna know what really went down between you and another nigga, I don't care shorty." I heard her say something, but I continued speaking. "It's been six months since we've broken up," I reminded her. " I tried to fight for you and forgive you, and I even tried to give yo' dumbass another chance to fix what you messed up, but you let this popularity shit get to yo' head," I said. "You, the one who went out hoein' around and bussin' it open to every nigga. I gave yo' dumbass my all." I told her. "I trusted you, ma, and you went and fucked it up," I admitted. "I'd be a fool to give yo' ass another chance." The silence on the phone by this point was powerful. "So, is there anything else you need ta' say?" I asked impatiently.