Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

'Where is here?'

'A little town called Belwich. It's one hundred miles west of Havern and right at the base of White Mountain. We're the only connection to the towns and mines up there for trade and food. Even have our own little freight railway.' She pulled back the curtain, letting the sun spill in. Esme couldn't see any awful lot, only trees and the sun's rays. 'You'll be able to look soon. First, eat then wash and dress yourself. There's a sink there,' she gestured to the corner of the room, 'And clothes in the closet. I picked them out myself. Your pack is with Warbler. He said he shouldn't part with it.'

It was a comfort that her Grimoire was safe. Just as Mouse turned to leave, Esme called out.

'Will I be able to see Fox?'

Mouse smiled. 'Eat and wash first.' She said simply and moved out of the room, lightly closing it behind her.

Feeling safe, Esme settled with her breakfast, drinking deeply and eating hurriedly. The food was good and not like the cheap and greasy stuff Fox had been feeding her. It tasted fresh. Feeling replenished, she stripped off her old, baggy shirt and wrenched the taps, letting hot water pour into the basin. With soap and speed, Esme was clean, dried and ready to dress. But the moment she pulled open the closet, she stilled.

Inside was clothes for a man but a woman. A nice pretty summer dress made from modest cloth and vibrant green dyes. The sight, while excited her, also made her become very still. They knew. They all knew she wasn't a man.

'Everything is going wrong.' She murmured.

Fox was shot and very nearly died. She was very closely snatched by the Ivory Tower and Billy. And then there was River Willow, his willingness to bond and her sudden ability to use her Grimoire to a far greater affect than it would allow. She had no idea what Willow had done to let her use magic but it was something to do with the bond. She couldn't ask him now his river was miles away. He was gone.

Esme dressed herself in the clothes offered by the closet. It fit nicely enough. It didn't reveal much of her shape, was clearly meant for someone shorter and the cloth was heavier than she was used to but it would. It had been a long time since she wore dress. It felt nice.

Just as she reached for the doorknob, something lightly popped by her bed. She turned sharply, swirling the dress around her knees, and came face to face with Absolon. He sang brightly and Esme burst into a smile.

'There you are.' She said as she pulled him into her chest, burying her face into his squishy body.

Absolon whistled merrily and glowed brightly with happiness. She was glad he was strong again. He had used so much strength recently against beings much more powerful than himself.

She held him out, jiggling him lightly. Inside the Eye rattled and floated, making Absolon laugh. He still had it. Despite what he'd been through, he hadn't let it go.

'I will buy you something sweet as soon as I can, Absolon.' She said with pride.

Absolon cheered at the promise.

'I want to see Fox. Do you know where he is?'

Absolon sang in confirmation and floated to the door, tapping it with his soft paw.

Esme pulled open the door and stepped out into a narrow corridor. Floral wallpaper, old lamps and sepia photos met her. She glanced at them, noticing a younger Mouse in some. As Absolon guided her, she kept eyeing the photos. She was curious if she'd find Fox. She wanted to see what he looked like as a child. Her search paid off. A portrait photo was held in an old, paint-faded frame, showing two beautiful women who looked identical with their husbands behind them. At their feet were two children. One was a girl, older and chubbier, but clearly Mouse by the freckles. The other was a boy, small and thin. Fox.