Chapter Twenty-One. Answers. (Part One)

"I knew this would happen, Grey! How could you be so stupid?"

"I thought she was strong enough, Jace. I didn't realize this would happen."

"It could've killed her! And you're even stronger now. You just need to stay away from her!"

I slowly opened my eyes, as Grey walked out of the room. My heart longed for him, feeling lost without his presence here. My eyes fell on Jace as I let out a huge smile, he was safe.

"Is Mason safe?"

Jace nodded, coming to my side as he stared at me longingly. I let out a deep breath, grateful that both of them had made it back to the school safe. Memories flooded back into me as I looked around the room I was in. It was Grey's, that I could tell before I even opened my eyes. His scent was very fresh in the room, only making me want him more.

"Where's Grey? Why isn't he here?"

Jace looked away from me, letting out a drawn out breath of air. I eyed him curiously as he played with his fingers.

"Scarlett."

He breathed out my full name, which he rarely does, as his eyes fell on mine. His expression was serious, as he began to speak.

"You're special. I wouldn't say gifted like us, but it's more like a curse."

My eyebrows furrowed together. I was, special? As far as I've known, I'm just a normal girl. I've never experienced any supernatural powers or anything like that.

"Jace, what do you mean?"

"Our powers usually activate when we go through puberty. Yours, well, they were different. Since you're part human, it started at an even later age."

Part human? My mind was a blur. How come they were just now telling me this?

"When do my powers activate?"

Jace let out a sigh, I feel like this is only the beginning of the story.

"They did, last night."

That's what the pain was. I didn't realize powers were that painful. What kind of curse does he mean? Why are mine so different from theirs?

"What is my power?"

"Scarlett, it's not really a power to you. You are a power to us."

A power to them? Is that why they've been keeping me here? Have they been using me this whole time? My mind started to go everywhere, all my trust for them went away. I stared at Jace, wondering if I even knew who he really is.

"You're like a power source. When you're vulnerable, we can draw power for you. It makes us stronger, but it drains you."

I suddenly backed away from him, fear setting in.

"Is that what Grey did to me last night? Is that why you've been keeping me here? It's not to protect me, is it? It's so that you can become stronger!"

I suddenly got up from the bed, my legs barely able to support me. My body felt weak, but I ignored it as I put my hands up defensively in front of Jace. He took a step forward, cautiously, a his hand reached out for me. I backed away, dodging him as I dashed out of the room. I heard him yell for me as I continued to run, my breathing heavy. My body was extremely weak, I felt physically drained. I felt a hand on my shoulder, instantly turning around while letting out a breath of air. Lis was eyeing me with caution as she put her hands up in defense.

"Scarlett, please just listen to us, I promise-" She went to reach for me as I quickly backed away.

"Don't touch me!"

I darted away and found the door as hands went around me. I turned my head around, to see Julius' face right behind mine. He picked me up with ease, taking me back up the stairs.

"No! You're going to drain the life from me you sick freak!"

Julius let out a dry laugh as he set me back down in Grey's room. I thrashed around in his arms, as he just rolled his eyes. After a minute of fighting, my body gave out, and I stopped. My face grew sour as I stared into him with defeat.

"Wow. Grey is right. You are quite the drama queen..."

I cocked my head back towards him, offended by his words.

"Drama queen? I just learned that the only reason they were keeping me here is so that they can become stronger. It was never about keeping me safe."

I looked over in the corner of the room, suddenly aware of Jace's presence. He only stared at me, not saying a word.

"It still is about keeping you safe. That is mine and Rayne's top priority." Julius let out a breath, his eyes on mine.

Their top priority? Why would they care, I literally met them like two days ago.

"But when we first met, you tried to kill me." My words were flat, as I tried to remain confident.

"Exact opposite, actually. We knew if you were injured, Grey would agree to anything if we healed you. Even let us back, which we needed in order to be here and protect you."

Why would they want to protect me? I've never met them before this, and they've apparently been searching for me this whole time?

"Okay, so let me get this straight. I have four psycho grown ass men, double set of twins as well, trying to protect me? Why the hell?"

Julius' eyes held humor as he ran a hand through his hair. Do all guys do that when they're stressed?

"Because, you're my family, Scarlett. Me, you and Rayne. We're family."

Family. That was a word I wasn't familiar with. I wasn't believing a word of what I was hearing. This was all too much.

"How are we even related?" I asked, my voice full of sarcasm. Julius' eyes didn't leave mine as he opened his mouth to speak.

"You're my sister."

~

Sorry it was so short! More to come very soon! Love you all xx