Chapter Eleven. Twenty Questions.

"Scarlett, you have to eat."

"Scar, please."

I shook my head, as hot tears fell down my cheeks. It had almost been three days since Lydia's death. I hadn't left this room, or eaten anything. She didn't deserve to die, or be in any part of this. I should be the one dead, not her. Jace and Grey would sit in here for hours everyday, trying to get me to eat. Jace had offered to get into my head and stop my grieving pains, but I wouldn't let him. I wanted to know that I was the reason for all of this.

"Grey, I have to go train the kids. Please, stay with her."

Grey and Jace had been taking shifts, watching over me. One of them was with me at all times. I heard Jace leave the room, leaving me alone with Grey. I continued to sit in my bed, staring at the wall. All you could hear in the room was my silent cries, and heavy breathing. I heard Grey shift closer, as I felt him place a hand on my shoulder. My shoulder suddenly felt warmth, and comfort from his simple gesture, and my crying stopped. I lifted my head up, and looked at him through tears. He looked disheveled, and stressed. His silver eyes were filled with worry, for me.

"Please don't cry, Scarlett. It hurts me more than you'll ever know."

As he said this, I turned to him and fell into his arms. He instantly wrapped around me, pulling me as close to his chest as he could. He laid on the bed, as our legs intertwined. My whole body danced with excitement at the feeling of being completely entwined with him, tingling all around. I buried my head in the crook of his neck, as he rested his head against mine. Never had I felt more safe, or protected in my life. I had no idea what drew me to him, or why I felt this way, but I knew it wasn't one sided.

"Why won't you let me in?"

He let out a sigh as I felt his chest slowly move up and down. His fingers found my hair, as he somehow pulled me even closer to him.

"Everyone I let in, I lose."

Grey let out another shaky breath, as he continued to speak.

"My parents, Jace. After Jace left, I was all alone. We are never going to have the same relationship again."

I couldn't imagine how their lives were. Grey appears to be this strong leader, who hundreds of people rely on. He had to be strong all the time.

"Why don't you have a soul mate?"

I felt his body tense at my question, as his grip on me loosened.

"I guess some people are destined to not love another person."

Destined not to love? Grey is incapable of love? I looked down at our bodies, pressed up against each other. He's so damn confusing.

"How about this? Let's play, 20 questions. But instead, it will be played a little differently. For every bite of food you take, you get to ask me one question."

I nodded, realizing how hungry I actually was. This was the first time in days I had actually spoken, or wanted to do anything.

"Fine."

We both sat up in the bed, still as close to each other as we could be, as he grabbed the sandwich from the night stand. I rolled my eyes at him, taking a small bite from it.