Chapter Fourteen. The Dress.

"No. No way in hell am I putting Scarlett in that situation."

"Grey, we have no choice. This is the only time we know where he'll actually be. He already knows where we live, soon enough he'll be crossing our borders."

"If we go there, we are just delivering Scarlett to him on a silver platter. The answer is no."

"What else are we supposed to do? Just sit around and wait for him to drop by and take Scarlett?"

Grey and Jace were a mess, arguing back and forth between one another. They could never agree on anything, especially when it comes to me. I grew with anger, watching them practically rip off each other's heads.

"Stop! Both of you! You both need to start explaining things. Like, I don't know, maybe, who killed my mother? And who is after me?"

They both grew silent as they gave each other knowing looks.

"Scar, I'm gonna tell you everything."

I started into Jace's eyes, ready for him to tell me everything. After waiting all this time to hear answers, I was finally going to get them.

"After we go to that ball, and kill that son of a bitch."

Are you freaking kidding me?

Jace looked at Grey, then quickly walked away, before he could protest anything. Grey walked towards me, grabbing my shoulders. Heat grew at the spot where he touched me.

"You are not going to step foot out of this house, over my dead body."

I smirked up at him. Clearly, he needs some humor in his life.

"But I love Masquerade Balls..."

Grey's eyes practically came out of his head as I said this.

"If you want to go, fine. But just know, this ball will end in you being kidnapped and experimented with for the rest of your pathetic life."

Pathetic? I turned my head away from Grey, hurt in my eyes. He let out a sigh, processing what I said.

"Scarlett, that's not what I meant. The only reason I'm so cold towards you is because... I care."

I snapped my head back towards him, shocked at his words. Was Grey actually admitting he has feelings? Am I dreaming?

"I really do care about you, Scarlett. I go crazy at the thought of anyone laying a finger on what's mine."

His? What does he mean, his? I'm certainly not owned by anyone. I turned away from him, all of this too much. I needed someone else to talk to, who wasn't Jace or Grey. Someone I can relate to when it comes to boys. I knew exactly who I needed to talk to.

~

"Okay, I'm all for hearing about your boy troubles and all, but you realize they're my cousins, right?"

Lis laughed, as we walked to her car. We were supposed to be training, but as soon as Lis heard about the Masquerade Ball, she had to get me a dress that would "steal the show". I don't even know if I'm going at this point, but I needed to get out of this place, and away from the Wonder Twins for a couple of hours.