Chapter Ten. The Mavericks Brothers.

"So, why are your last names not the same?"

Jace and Grey looked up from the work they were doing and laughed at me.

"My last name isn't really Salvatore, Scarlett."

"And mine isn't Stanford."

I cocked my head at them, curious. So they basically lied about everything then?

"Well, what is it? I knew those last names were way too cool."

I laughed at myself. Of course they would lie about their last names, it would give it away if they had the same last name.

"Mavericks."

Grey and Jace Mavericks. Even their names rolled off the tongue with such elegance. They were currently filing papers of all the new students who had come to the school while they were both gone.

"So who ran the school while you guys were away?"

"Lis and Axel."

I nodded, they must be siblings.

"They're twins too."

"Are twins a thing here?"

"It's extremely common for twins to be gifted." 

I looked back and forth between Grey and Jace. They didn't look too much alike. The only thing they share is their angry, jealous face. And their undeniably good looks.

I walked over to all the paperwork of people, looking through all of them. There were hundreds of names in files, all with their special talents. My eyes landed on a file that read, "CONFIDENTIAL", it was one of the biggest ones there.

"What's that?"

Jace suddenly grabbed the folder from me, and shoved it away into a drawer. Grey eyed me, almost worried I saw a glance of what was in the folder.

"You guys are so secretive."

I groaned, walking out of the room. I found myself in the dining hall, many students my age. They had books open, as if they were preparing for a test. I wonder how different their everyday life is like from mine. My eyes landed on Lis, who was spinning her pencil in her hand. I ran up to her, thankful I knew someone in the crowd.

"Hey!"

She smiled, the pencil stopping in her hands. I gave her a thankful look as I sat next to her.

"How come I never see you guys using your powers?"

I spat out, without thinking. This whole school looked so normal, you could never tell everyone here had their own special gift.

"We can only use them in times of emergency. Grey's orders."

I remained silent. What did she mean by emergency? What problems do they run into? And Grey's orders? He seems to be the head of everything here.

"Anyway, I gotta get to class. You should too."

I almost choked at her words. I have to go to class? What are they gonna teach me? I have no powers. Before I could ask her another question, she was gone. A warm arm grabbed my arm, and by the fiery reaction my skin gave me I instantly knew who it was.