Chapter Thirty Two: Working On A Strategy

Start from the beginning

Data nodded as he mulled that over. "It does make a certain amount of sense, though I'm not sure how the TARDIS has anything to do with this."

"The TARDIS," the bow-tied Doctor mused. "Ah yes, that sexy thing. She's as much a living entity as anyone is. You see, inside the Heart of the TARDIS dwells a sort of consciousness, albeit with a slightly different take on what we consider morality."

His companion rolled his eyes. "Let's not get into that, shall we? It might only confuse them more. Let it be enough that we're charged with the protection of time and space here and call it good. After all, we didn't start this discussion with the intent on giving a lecture on what we may or may not be."

Honey nodded, realizing they had indeed gone off topic. "So, what does this all mean about Hiro? You mentioned potential multiple encounters with the Rift."

"That we did," the younger Doctor agreed. He took the opportunity to pour himself a cup of tea from the same pot Picard had used, before sitting down in a comfy chair. "You see, as far as we can gather, Hiro was somehow given the chance to change something in his past. A death, for example."

Honey couldn't help but put her hand to her mouth as she let out a gasp of shock. "Tadashi," she breathed.

The newly incarnated Doctor nodded. "Exactly what we were thinking. And believe you me, we had a time of it going back time and time again to try and keep him from saving his brother."

Wasabi chose that moment to call their attention away from the current line of thought. "Now wait a minute," he protested. "Why would bringing Tadashi back be such a bad thing?"

Deanna closed her eyes against the onslaught of emotions washing up against her senses. It was overwhelming. She put her uninjured hand to her head as if to repress the headache forming there.

"Counselor," Picard hazarded as he turned towards her, "are you alright?"

The Betazoid slowly shook her head. "There are far too many emotions running rampant at the moment," she explained. "And I can't be sure that all of them are coming from inside this room."

Honey moved to stand by the woman's side, as if that alone would offer up the support she needed. "Could you be sensing Hiro?"

But the counselor shook her head. "I don't know." She winced. "I feel pain, a great deal of pain. And confusion."

GoGo put down her food as she watched Trio. "I hope that's not Hiro you're sensing," she commented. "Because if it is, someone's going to pay."

............................................

Worf woke with a start. Growling a bit to himself, he rolled to a sitting position, his hair showing a decided need for a good brushing. He stretched, yawning hugely, then looked towards the clock. Surprised at the time, he immediately stood up and looked towards Q's bed, realizing it was empty.

"Not again," the Klingon grumbled. Then the idea that Q might have just gone to use the restroom or to join the others came to mind. He hoped that was the case. It wouldn't do to be completely unreasonable, after all.

Worf hurried got dressed and tried to smooth back his head. He probably should inquire about soap for a shower. He'd noticed the bathroom had a stall for such a purpose. But that could wait until later. He had a missing person to find before the man got them into even more trouble.

...................................

James had come across some trouble while looking for a portable heater. Most stores didn't seem to have them in stock, not that he'd intended on actually buying one. In the end, he'd had to go to a junk dealer and barter for one, something that took a lot longer than he'd anticipated.