Taking Shape

"Enough! Enough!" Philips shouts as he strides round the command centre, Quinn and I giving each other exasperated looks and sighs. "I'm not going to listen to another word of this! You had your chance, you failed." 

He's referring to the attempt made by Edvard and Voski - and their now executed accomplice Tryfon - to assassinate Palpatine; they've just explained it and its premise to the group of us that's gathered in the command centre. It involved sneaking a timed bomb into a cargo crate on one of the Imperial Shuttles Palpatine just so happened to be leaving on and handing it to Commander Jerjerrod. Unfortunately there was a problem with the fuse and it didn't go to plan.

"Your so-called 'central solution' didn't work," Philips continues in his ever-present condescending tone. "Our only option now is to confront the Emperor openly."

"Don't tell me he's gonna give it the old 'force him out of power routine' again," Zach murmurs sarcastically in my ear, and I can't help but smirk.

Edvard attempts to offer something to our group discussion. "This is a military operation-"

"It's not a military operation, it's a political organisation," Philips barks over him as he paces round the stone table, waggling a fat finger at Edvard. "And one that's given its military arm too much control."

"In any military society you have to expect a certain measure of deviation," Edvard says, his long, wrinkled face held as stiff as always.

"A measure? A measure?! What about total complete utter failure?!" Philips shouts.

I feel Luke take my hand and give it a squeeze, and I glance over at him to find him watching the situation in front of us apprehensively.

"Gentlemen..." Mitchell begins in his monotone voice, looking around at me, Quinn, Luke, and the screens in the room showing the advances of Quinn's troops. "I think it's time we face the facts. The Rebels are coming for the Empire sooner or later..." He sighs, pushing what remains of his black hair from his sagging forehead, waving his hand in a vague gesture afterwards. "I say we sit back and let them wipe out the remaining troops and Palpatine."

"And ask every living soul in the galaxy to pay the price? Use your head, man!" Philips argues, and, for once, I find myself totally agreeing with him.

"Karl, please," Jackson says quietly, but Philips just shakes his head.

"Didn't know he was called Karl," Zach whispers again, moving his head towards mine.

"That's because his first name is 'Colonel'," I joke back, causing him to laugh under his breath.

"I'm sorry, General, but I've really held my tongue too long," Philips says, pulling at the collar of his tight fitting tunic, turning to Zach, Kes and I instead. "You all remember what I said three years ago on Tatooine, don't you? We must confront them openly, force them out of power!" he continues, looking around at the group from Tarie, balling his hands into fists and raising them in an attempt to make us agree.

"Don't give it all that again, Colonel," Zach snaps at him as he crosses his arms. "We all know charging into an Imperial base is never going to work. We'd easily be outnumbered a hundred to one."

"It wouldn't even work if the few undercover Rebels, such as Erfad and the others, stood up and tried to take him and his inner circle out," I add. "Like you said yourself, a madman would end up taking his place anyway."

"What about your brother? Isn't he still an Imperial Captain?" Kes interjects, and I feel my heart leap into my throat at the mention of those words. "Couldn't you try and get hold of him, let him know about all this?"