Yavin Base

I run towards the Rebel base, which consists of an ancient temple shrouded in mist. The air is heavy and muggy, and I wish I'd kept the helmet so I could reattach it to the breathing apparatus. There are a large number of Rebel troops guarding the entrance, possibly waiting for survivors from the shuttle.

I emerge from the bushes with my hands raised in surrender. "Don't shoot!" I yell at them as they aim their blasters at me, ready to kill me. "I am General Natalie Hawkins, a spy for the Rebel Alliance."

Commander Willard comes walking out of the base, perhaps looking for information on the shuttle, and greets me, gesturing for the troops to lower their blasters.

"Commander Willard," I greet, nodding at him, happy to see a familiar face.

"You've just missed the briefing about the Death Star run," he tells me. I mentally sigh in relief. The Millennium Falcon made it here. "Come, I'll tell you as we walk."

"Wait, before we go anywhere," I interrupt, stopping him as he starts to walk off. "I only got out because an Officer helped me. His name was Jim Williams. He will be recognised for his actions."

He nods at me.

"And one more thing. Has Commander Zachary Nicholson arrived yet?" I ask.

"No," he replies, and I feel my heart sink.

I grab my comlink immediately as Willard leads me into the base. "Zach?"

"I'm fine, Nat," he says breathlessly. "Evan came and helped get me out, saying he was disgraced with my behaviour and all that malarkey that keeps us alive as we walked down the hallways. I got away, and he's going to evacuate on his ship during the attack runs, making it out that he's helping defend the station."

"Why did you run off like that?" I demand, angry at him for dismissing someone so brave.

"I didn't trust him," he replies.

I frown at this. "Well, you should have. He sacrificed his life and position to save us," I snap, and I hear him sigh. I decide to change the subject. "Are you on route to Yavin IV?" I ask him, walking into the huge spaceship hangar.

He doesn't reply, and I frown again.

"Zach?"

"Yes," he huffs. "I am, yes."

"Alright," I reply stiffly, wondering why he's being so cold with me all of a sudden. But I have bigger things to worry about, so I return my comlink to my belt and gesture for Commander Willard to tell me about the attack run.

"So, as you know, the battle station is heavily shielded and carries a firepower greater than half the Starfleet. We'll be conducting the assault in T-65 X-Wing and BTL-A4 Y-Wing fighters."

I nod along. "Smart move. The Empire don't see a one-man fighter as a threat, or they would have a tighter defence."

He smiles. "The approach will not be easy. You have to manoeuvre straight down the trench towards a small thermal exhaust port. You know where that is?"

"Yes, and it leads directly to the reactor system, and that will start a chain reaction which will blow up the station. Never understood why they never organised someone in maintenance to sort that out."

"Well, thank God they didn't, but only a direct hit will set off the chain reaction," he tells me. "The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll be using proton torpedoes."

I nod again. "I need a ship," I say as I watch the preparation for the assault in front of me. There are rows of X-Wings and Y-Wings, and flight crews are rushing around loading last-minute armaments and unlocking power couplings.