Escape

We are marched to the Death Star control room. The Officers grip my arms hard, and I'm sure I'll have bruises. I look over to Zach, who's glaring behind him at the Stormtroopers who are holding on to him.

"So, this is how it ends, Nicholson," I say, catching his attention, and he looks over to me.

"It's been a pleasure, Hawkins," he smiles.

"Wouldn't have missed it for the galaxy," I smile back. From the corner of my eye, I notice that one of the Officers marching me up the hallway is none other than Officer Williams. He looks at me sadly, and I look straight ahead again. I don't need his sympathy.

We reach the control room; a bland, black room with control panels positioned around it, and a large bay window looking out into space. Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader and Lance are stood in the centre of the room, talking between themselves, and Lance is joined by two medics who are working on his left arm. I smile to myself, admiring my handwork.

"Are they away?" Vader asks his young apprentice.

"They have just made the jump into hyperspace," Lance replies, and I glare at the back of his thin head.

"You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship?" Tarkin questions Lance, and he nods.

"It was my pleasure," he says, and then he yelps in pain and jerks his arm away from one of the medics. He swats them away with his right hand. "Leave us!"

They nod at him and scurry away quickly, looking at me in fear as they walk past.

"I'm taking an awful risk, Vader," Tarkin scoffs, his glance moving from the young Sith apprentice to his Master. "This had better work."

The three of them turn around to see us.

"Sir, we have captured Natalie Hawkins and Zachary Nicholson," the other Officer who is holding onto me says, and the both of us are thrust towards them. "She's a Rebel, Sir, and I believe Nicholson is a conspirator."

"No," Lance snaps, walking towards me slowly, pressing his now bandaged left arm to his side. "They both are."

Lance towers over to me and grabs my chin with his slender fingers. I pull my face away from his hand, and he frowns at me. He lifts his left hand and slaps me hard across the right side my face, and my head jerks to the side.

"Don't you touch her!" Zach yells at him, trying to free himself, but the Stormtroopers restrain him.

Lance ignores him. "Liar!" he shouts down at me.

My face is stinging and in pain, but all I can do is laugh. "Finally, he's clever," I smile, turning my head to face Lance. "Nice choice for an apprentice there, Vader."

"Natalie Hawkins and Zachary Nicholson," Tarkin begins, and I roll my eyes and look away from him, sighing. "You are to be executed for your crimes against the galaxy."

"I have committed no crime," I state, looking at the three of the blankly. "I have finished what I set out to do four years ago. I've helped the Rebels fight back against the Empire, and, in that purpose, I am a success."

Lance smiles. "I have a better idea," he says, turning to Vader and Tarkin and walking back over to them. "Allow them to watch the destruction of Yavin IV and their Rebel friends, and then execute them, so they will truly feel the gravity of their crimes."