Chapter 23

-Author's Note-

Hey, sorry for the lack of updates. I've just been a lazy Midgardian but I will try to update more often. I'm really trying to get on a schedule for my updates but I always seem to lack motivation. Besides, my friend is trying to kill me every time I miss and update.

-Third Person P.O.V-

"T-Thor?" Loki mumbles deliriously.

"Loki! You're awake. The war is over." Thor sighs, relieved. "Have the voices stopped?"
Loki takes a moment to listen to the silence.

"I think so, for now. But they might come back..." As soon as his vision clears, Loki realises that he's in his bedroom. He bolts upright. "(y/n)! Where is she?"

"Calm brother, I have sent a search team of our best soldiers to look for her." Thor places a reassuring hand on Loki's shoulder.

"Thor, I should be out there!"

"No, Loki! You're too weak right now. Also, (y/n) is still brainwashed. If you find her, she'll try to kill you."

"Brother... please..." Loki looks desperately into his brother's eyes.

"I'm sorry. I can't let you go. The team will find her and bring her back."

"Then I can see her?"

"Yes, brother. But for now, please just don't do anything that will get you hurt. Just stay in here and a maid will bring you breakfast." Thor stands up and starts to leave.

"This is outrageous! I'm not a child!" Loki exclaims, pushing himself off the side of the bed only to cry out in pain and fall to the floor.

"Loki!" Thor gasps, crouching down to tend to his brother. He slides his arms under Loki's back and picks him up. "Brother, I know you really love her. But you must rest. I'll get you as soon as they bring (y/n) back." Thor places Loki back onto the bed.

"Do you swear? No matter what happens, you'll tell me when she gets back?" Loki's pleading eyes stare innocently into his older brother's.

"I swear Loki. Now please, rest. I also brought you a book from the library. Here." Thor hands him a book titled 'Tales From Midgard'. "I thought it might cheer you up."

"Thank you, brother..." Loki takes the book and settles down into bed with it.

"I'll come back later to check on you, breakfast should be here soon." Thor gives Loki one more reassuring smile before leaving the room. Peace. The only noise is the crackling of the fire in the fireplace by his bed. Sighing, Loki opens the book and starts reading the table of contents out loud.

"Three Little Pigs, Hansel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstalk... These are very different from the Asgard tales..." Loki finally finds one with an interesting title; Beauty and the Beast. He flicks to the page where the story begins. 

In a far away land, lived a merchant and his beautiful daughter named Belle... 

Loki usually finds these types of stories mushy and unworthy of reading, but he read on. He read on and on, enjoying every word. Something about the story appealed to him. Suddenly, the door swings open.

"Your highness, I have your breakfast." The maid holds a tray of delectable fruits and meats.

"Thank you. Now would you mind placing it on the table and leaving? I'm quite busy right now." Loki mumbles, his eyes not leaving the book.

"Of course, I'll be back for the tray later." She bows before quickly exiting.

She went to the castle to meet him. Belle saw the beast moaning in pain and dying, he was very glad to see her. Loki's expression saddened, he'd grown quite fond of the beast. It reminded him of himself. She held him and sobbed and told him that she loved him and kissed him softly. At that very instant-

"Brother!" Thor booms, bursting into the room. Loki drops the book in shock. He'd been so engulfed in the story that Thor's sudden entrance nearly gave him a heart attack. "It's (y/n)! They've found her! She's being held in one of the cells as a safety measure..."

"I can see her?" Loki gasps.

"Well, yes. But..."

"But?"

"You'll see when you get there..." Thor's expression saddens. He bends down so that Loki can wrap an arm around his neck. Slowly, Thor slides Loki out of bed and helps him walk to the door. Part of Loki wants to finish the story. He wondered what had happened to the beast. He couldn't possibly have died, could he? But something more important took over his mind. (y/n). His love. His life. His Beauty.