Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

He looks at something over my shoulder and a sorrowful look flashes in his eyes, “The other day, some teacher held me up at school so I couldn’t go pick them up and he got to them before I did. I panicked and drove straight home but…” He finally looks me in the eyes, a horrified look on his face, “That was the first time since it first started happening that he hit Emma. I was so angry I couldn’t even remember my own name. All I could concentrate on was that fact that he hurt my little sister. So, I snapped. I started screaming in his face and then I started hitting him as hard as I could. He still has the bruises from those. After I calmed down though, he went ballistic and beat the shit outta me. That’s why I look so beat up right now, I usually don’t look like this.” He says, gesturing to his body.

I can feel the tears start to prick my eyes, I’ve never felt so much hatred for one person than I do for Tristan’s dad right now.  “So he has hurt Emma? Is she okay?” I ask, my voice slightly shaky from the tears pooling in my eyes. Poor Emma, she’s only twelve she shouldn’t be going through something like this.

He reaches up to cup my cheek, his thumb catches the few tears that fall from my eyes, “Yeah, she’s fine. She was really upset when it first happened but then she just did her best to let it go. I haven’t though, I don’t think I can ever forgive myself for letting him hurt her.”

I turn my body until I’m sitting directly in front of him and grab his face in my hands, “It’s not your fault. You’re human, we all make mistakes. If you wanna blame someone, blame your dad. What he does to you is wrong and it’s his fault.”

He leans his head on my hand and turns to kiss my palm, “I know it’s his fault, but I’m just worried you know?”

I nod in understanding, “I know. But, Trist? Have you ever thought of reporting him? I mean you can’t let this go on. He’s hurting you.”

He sighs, his shoulders dropping in defeat, “I have thought of it, but then the three of us will be separated and that’s the last thing I want. Now, I’m just waiting till I turn eighteen. It’s not too long away, then I can just take custody of them, have him thrown in jail, and move out.”

I look at him skeptically, “What about your grandparents? Won’t they take you in until you turn eighteen?”

He shrugs, “I don’t want to put the burden on them. They’re so old. And if I do that then I’ll have to tell them what’s going on and I don’t think I’m ready for that. Plus he’ll probably kill me if I tell anyone what’s going on. If I run away with them he’ll probably just track me down and then kill me. Trust me Mikayla, I’ve thought of everything. The only one that doesn’t have some sort of obstacle standing in the way is waiting for my eighteenth birthday.”

“You haven’t told anyone what’s going on? No one?”

He shakes his head, “Except you.”

I stare at him in shock, “Tristan, you need to tell people. Not the whole world, but at least your grandparents. Do you honestly think they’ll consider you a burden if you tell them what’s happening? Do you think they want this to keep happening to you?”

He looks down at his hands, not meeting my gaze.

I feel my face soften, he looks so vulnerable and hopeless. 

I lift my hand and cup his cheek, “Tristan, look at me. I want you to know that you’re not in this alone anymore. I’m going to do everything I can to get you three out of this. But, we’ll go at your pace. If you don’t want me to tell anyone, I won’t. But we are going to do something, I’m not going to stand by and watch you get hurt. But you have to let me help, okay?”