Chapter 1

Chapter 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dug my claws into the earthy ground gradually going faster every time my paws thumped on the ground. A quick glance over my shoulder fulfilled my hopes as the distance between me and my pursuer greatened.  As I weaved in and out of the trees the distances grew but then the scent of another wolf not to far ahead, swirled within my nostrils. I put my legs on pause and I skidded across the loose soil before changing direction in a sharp turn to my left.

I continued to run through the trees at a steady speed as the mid-morning sun flickering through the canopy and into my eyes. I was so tired but I knew they wouldn’t give up just yet and I still had a bit of energy to burn. Just as my mind started to wander off to thoughts of tiredness is when two wolves jumped out of the bushes taking me by surprise. While my muscles rippled and bones shifted I jumped through the air and it hurt, after this I will have to practice moving shifts more. My now human hands gripped to a nearby branch over head, swinging forward before releasing my grip and letting the gained momentum carry me through the fresh morning air.

With my heart pumping along with my arms and legs I ran onwards in human form. I turned around and backed up against a tree after five minutes of non stop sprinting, we’d been at this all morning and I needed I breather which ended up to be a stupid choice: just when I thought I’d gotten away as I leant against that tree I’d forgotten to keep alert, and you must always keep alert! A hand grabbing onto my shoulder brought my senses back to life.

“Got ya!” a menacing voice sounded from behind me.

I tried to run away but their arms grabbed round my waist and we fell on the ground in a fit of giggles.

“Alright, alright, you got me!” I laughed out as I tried to get away from Tessa’s tickling hands.

“Yeah, because that’s why you tried to run away. Cheat!” she smirked down at me as she got up off of the ground before helping me up.

“Aw no fair! I wanted to catch her today!” Josh came out of the bushes whining.

“Tough love bro.” Vince said following Josh out of the foliage.

“Has Nelson been caught yet?” I asked because him and I were two of the fastest in the pack.

“Yeah, you were the last one.” Josh said still pouting about his loss.

“But we did take awhile to catch him as well as you.” Alexia or as she likes to be called Lexi, almost appeared from nowhere as she usually did, thanks her stealth abilities.

“Alright then, training’s over, for this morning. Race you guys back to the pack house!” I grinned cheekily and as I shifted into my pure white coat and my grin turned into a wolfish one.

Then I darted off in the direction of the pack house that was in the middle of the woods where we, and the rest of the pack lived. The were-elders or were-council restricts Packs to 50 members which are split into two ‘sections; a main section of wolfs: the Pack with numbers 20 or under, who are closer to the Alpha and then the 30 or under ‘back up’ or Tribe who guard and fight. My Dad explained it to me like this when I was little: The Alpha is like the king or queen who get his or her own private guards and the rest protect the castle. However I have yet to see a pack over at least 30 besides my own which consists of 34.

This morning I had taken the main or the ‘roots’ of the pack out for some training and we were playing ‘hunt’ a survival game that is relatively like tag but your life depends on not getting caught or catching the other people. Two people are ‘it’ or the enemy to start with and as you get caught you join them.