Chapter Thirty-One

I walked through the gates with my mouth agape. The town was mixed with modern houses and then some Victorian styled houses towards the back of the town. On the main road were various shops and restaurants that the people of the town were crowding around. From the looks of the people they all seemed to be vampires, which was no surprise, but I'd have to ask Connor about it later.

          We all got various looks of surprise and gazes full of judgement as guards descended the guard towers to escort us after asking what our business was here. I kept my gaze down as I walked, keeping my eyes on Hayden's feet to keep myself from going in the wrong direction. Many of the people in the town, I didn't know what else to call them as of now, began edging towards us and flashing fangs at me causing the guards to quickly send them away.

          After what felt like an hour of walking we were climbing the stairs to the castle. My head was now raised to take in the beauty of the castle as we approached it. There were two guards on each side of the door while the king and queen, along with Connor, stood in the door entrance ready to greet us. Connor stood slightly behind his parents in a fancy black suit that made me leave my gaze on him for a little longer than intended.

          Connor gave me a small smile that was only for my eyes to see as the guards, Cam, Parker, Hayden, and I climbed the stairs. Once we reached them the guards, Cam, Parker, and Hayden bowed and I followed suit. Once we stood up again the king and queen were smiling at us. The king was also in a suit followed by a black and blue robe while the queen wore a gentle smile with a black and blue dress. Both the king and queen seemed to be in their early thirties even though I knew they were way older.

          "Wonderful to finally meet you Hayden, Alexis, and nice to see you again Cam," the king greeted, I noticed that Parker had disappeared, but then the king shook Cam and Hayden's hand and then kissed mine.

          "You can call me Lex," I said as the king kissed my hand, "nice to meet you as well, your highness."

          The king smiled at me and then looked at the queen who held out her hand for Cam and Hayden to kiss before curtsying to me. I bowed back and then Connor stepped forward. I followed his every move as he shook Cam's and then Hayden's hand, whispering words of greeting before he bent down and kissed my hand.

          He then looked up at me, "it is wonderful to see you again," Connor whispered although his accent was still thick.

          "You as well," I said, trying to use the proper tone in the presence of the king and queen since I knew they could hear me.

          "This way, please," the king said as Connor straightened up to a standing position beside me.

          The guards by the door reached out and simultaneously pulled the doors opened. The king and queen walked through first. Connor looked exactly like his dad except while the king had green eyes, Connor inherited his mother's amber-gold ones. The queen was very beautiful, fit to be a queen, while she had long, flowing blond hair that accented her skin and Connor's eyes.

          The king and queen led us down a long corridor with pillars lining both sides and extravagant plants between each one. We ascended a stair way that led to the throne room that had two large chairs a little off centered and two smaller chairs to the left of them that I assumed was for Connor and the Princess. The king and queen gave us a short tour of the first floor of the castle which consisted of the throne room, guard quarters that we were not allowed to go in, and a couple studies. Everything else was on higher levels of the castle.

          "Southern, Western, and Eastern kingdoms will be here tomorrow to talk with you," the queen said, turning her gaze on Connor.

          "Why?" he asked.