Chapter Fourteen

Connor's head twitched to the side but he was still lowering his mouth to my neck. Connor was seconds before biting me so I did the first thing that popped into mind. I leaned forward and kissed him. It took Connor a few seconds to realize what was happening but then his grip loosened and his fangs receded.

          Connor blinked, his eyes returning to amber-gold before he closed his eyes and reached one hand up to cup my face. He then lowered his other arm to my lower back. My arms went around his neck, one hand raking through his hair. He broke away then, he looked like he was about to kiss me again, but as if he'd realized what just happened he shot back a few feet from me.

          He stood there for a minute, just as dazed as I was. He looked back up at me once more and I could see a shocked, yet lusting expression on his face before he recomposed himself. Neither of us spoke for a moment. "Thank you, Lex, for stopping me and I'm sorry, both for my loss of control for your blood and my loss of control of the past few moments" Connor said and I looked back up at him.

          "It's okay, you don't have to be sorry," I said.

          Connor gave me a smile, showing his dimples before he looked back up at me with shinning amber-gold eyes. "Come, let's get you cleaned up," Connor said, taking my hand and leading me to the bathroom. Light came in through a high-up window.

          "I'll be back in a moment," Connor said and the breeze of his vampire speed brushed across my face.

          Connor appeared less than a second later holding a tin bucket of water with a clean rag on the side. Connor picked me up and set me on top of the sink and I concealed a gasp. He sank the washcloth in the water and then gently grabbed my hand and started wiping the dried blood away. I winced as the cut began to sting and Connor lessened the pressure.

          When he was done he looked up at me for a few moments, "what?" I asked.

          "I'm sorry for hurting you," he said.

          "You didn't hurt me though," I said.

          "Yes I did, I scared you, I've inflicted emotional pain on you," Connor said.

          "You didn't scare me, I just did what I knew was for the best," I said.

          "I'm not sure it was for the best," Connor said with a grin.

          "I'm talking about stopping you from biting me," I said, shoving him and he smiled, "and why do you think the... other thing wasn't for the best?" I asked.

          "Kissing you was a bad idea, you know that too, I'm not meant to be with a human," Connor said, looking down.

          "Fair enough," I said, lightly kicking him in the knee, "but you should do what you want, it's your life and you should have a say in it," I said and he looked up at me.

          "You know as well as I do that my parents would never let me be with who I want, it's against their royal vampire beliefs" Connor said, looking me in the eye.

           I shrugged as he put a Band-Aid on my hand, never breaking eye contact. He helped me off the sink and then walked out the bathroom, pulling me along with him. "Where are the others?" I asked.

          "Scouting the area," Connor answered simply.

          "Is that why they didn't come to the room when they heard me shout?" I asked.