Chapter Four

I went through an uneasy last few classes since everyone in my class were staring between Hayden and Brody the whole time. Hayden didn't seem to notice or didn't care rather. Brody had his head down the whole time and when the last bell of the day rang he was the first one out of the door. Hayden had insisted that he didn't want to be the main talk of the school and I believed him but others like Brody didn't.

I'd told Jade that I couldn't make it to the café today since Hayden had another late practice. I told her that I wasn't feeling good so I'd just wait in the car for Hayden and she'd been upset but agreed. I sat in my mom's car and read my book. I'd been reading it for about an hour and when Hayden knocked on the window I jumped.

I unlocked the door so he could get in and when I looked at him I could have sworn I saw a red glint in his eyes but I blinked and it was gone. When Hayden saw me staring he became guarded more so than before.

"What?" Hayden asked, tilting his head down so that his jet black hair fell in his face, hiding most of it.

"Umm... nothing," I said and cranked up the car.

I drove home in silence besides the radio. Hayden looked out the window the whole ride home. I didn't try to spark up a conversation because I knew it wouldn't last. Hayden didn't want to talk right now, that much I could tell, and I wasn't about to try and change that but I was curious.

I told myself it was just a reflection from something in the school parking lot or from something in the car. I wasn't so sure that this was true but it's what I was going with for now. Hayden would think I was crazy if I asked him why his eyes flickered red. For now, I would keep it to myself unless I saw it happen again.

When we got home Hayden went straight to his room and somewhat slammed his door. Mom walked in then and gave me a look of concern. I looked down the hallway and then back to her. Mom nodded and walked towards me.

"What happened?" Mom asked.

"Hayden just had a tiring practice and an eventful day at school," I explained.

"What happened at school today?" Mom asked, concerned.

"Brody Williams tried to start a fight with Hayden but don't worry, nothing happened," I said.

"Why didn't anything happen? I know Brody and I know he would never back down from a fight," mom said.

"Hayden wouldn't put up with it so he shoved him away and went on to class," I explained and she nodded.

"Well go on to your room, I know you're probably exhausted as well, but I'll have dinner ready soon," mom said and I nodded.

I turned and went down the hall. I paused outside Hayden's door, debating if I should go in. I pushed the thought aside and walked down another door to my room and went in. After I sat down I seemed to hear Hayden start walking around his room again.

I was almost asleep when Hayden knocked on my door about thirty minutes later. My door opened and Hayden peeked his head in. When he saw me groggily getting up he looked concerned. "Dinner's ready, do you want me to tell Lily you're asleep?" He asked.

"No, I'm coming, tell her I'll be right there," I said.

"Should have known you wouldn't skip a meal," Hayden said with a hint of humor in his voice and closed the door.

That was the closest Hayden came to joking around. If you didn't know him you'd probably think that he was insulting you. I sighed and walked over to my door and opened it once again. I walked down the hallway and nearly tripped over my own feet before I got to the kitchen.

I caught myself on the wall and looked up to see three pairs of concerned faces looking up at me. "I'm fine," I said and took my seat at the table.

"Are you sure, darling?" Dad asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," I answered and he nodded and continued with piling his plate high with food.

I looked up to see Hayden cut me a glance but I ignored it and gathered my food. As soon as I was done eating I placed my plate in the sink and waited for the others to finish. Tonight was my night to do the dishes so I had to do it before I went to bed. As soon as everybody was done I washed the dishes and found my way back to my room. Within two minutes I was already asleep.

           ***

The next day I drove to school with another silent and impenetrable Hayden. Hayden just stared out the window, lost in thought, and I couldn't do anything about it. I've always tried to get to Hayden and help him but he does nothing but push me away. I never did anything to him to make him want to push me away but it's just how he is. 

When we got to school everyone seemed to be a lot more excited than normal. I looked over at Hayden, "what do you think is going on?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, but I don't like it," Hayden said and his face looked like he'd smelled something horrible.

I turned around and walked to my class as Hayden turned and walked towards his. When I got to my class everyone seemed to be buzzing with excitement. When I saw Jade she gave me a bright smile and headed over.

"Hi Lex!" She exclaimed.

"Why is everyone so excited?" I asked.

Her face seemed to drop, "you haven't heard?" She asked.

"Heard what?" I asked, my curiosity growing.

"There's new students, five of them," Jade explained.

"Five new students?" I asked.

"Yes!" Jade exclaimed happily.

Just then a tall guy with dark brown hair that brushed the bottom of his ears and slightly curled in the back walked in. Four other students walked in as well. Something about them threw me off but the guy with the dark brown hair threw me off the most. He turned and looked over the classroom. His amber-gold eyes landed on me and his head cocked to the side in curiosity.

My mouth was slightly opened as my curiosity got the best of me and I stared back. He glanced back at another guy who had light brown hair and green eyes. When the taller, dark brown-haired guy looked at him he looked in my direction as well. I looked at Jade who seemed to be amazed and then I looked back towards them.

"And who are you?" Mrs. Henson asked.

"I am Connor Pierce and this is Parker," the guy with dark brown hair said, gesturing to the light brown-haired guy. "Chase," Connor said, pointing to a blond-haired blue-eyed boy. "Emma," he said gesturing to a girl with light brown hair and blue eyes. "And Skye," Connor finished, referring to another girl with blond hair and brown eyes.

"Thank you, now please, find a seat so we can get to the lesson," Mrs. Henson said.

"My pleasure," Connor said, a hint of an accent in his voice.