Chapter Twenty-Two

I heard Lex scream and then it was cut off. I looked at Hayden and he looked at me. We shot forward and saw rogues putting Lex in another rogue's arms. There were no other students at this part of the parking lot and the vehicles were blocking this corner from the view of the other students.

          I ran for the rogue that had Lex but seven rogues blocked my path. I saw Hayden try to run around them but seven more rogues blocked his path. The rogue looked at us and then shot off into the woods. I shot out and struck several fatal blows on about four or five of the rogues and they fell.

          The two rogues left came at me at the same time and I lashed out, plunging my hand into one's chest while I grabbed the other by the shoulder and pulled him closer to me. I bit into the rogue's neck that I pulled closer to me and tasted his bitter blood, I pulled my head back, leaving his neck open and bleeding out. I pulled my hand out of the chest of the other rogue at the same time I pulled my head back.

          I clutched his still-beating heart in my hand as he fell to the ground along with the rest of his friends. I looked at Hayden and made sure he was doing well. He was only dealing with two rogues now and I saw him tear into one of their necks. I was sure he has his situation under control, he was pretty violent for a half-blood, but you couldn't blame him with his past.

          I turned back to where the rogue had left and I took off after him. I'd already wasted too much time. I could smell Lex's scent from here, even though it now was mostly Hayden's scent I could still smell the slight scent of rose which was specifically her. I was only able to follow her scent instead of her scent trail since the rogue who was carrying her had his scent trails all over the woods.

          I looked to my left as I sensed someone there. I realized Hayden had caught up with me and turned back to look forwards. Suddenly Lex's scent disappeared and I stopped dead in my tracks. Hayden stopped too and looked at me.

          "What happened? Where's her scent?" He asked.

          "Don't worry, I don't believe she is dead," I answered.

          "Connor, what happened?" Hayden asked, his tone claiming he was serious.

          "I believe they have put her in a cellar or underground basement, scents disappear once they are underground unless they leave a scent trail. Since Lex was being carried by the rogue he left his scent trail instead of hers," I explained.

          "That means we can't track her from here," Hayden said, clearly finding the rogue's scent trails that were all over the woods.

          "No, we cannot," I said.

          "We should follow his scent trails back to where he goes to the most which should be a house since he has an underground basement or cellar," Hayden said.

          "I would guess so," I said and smelled the air, I could smell several scent trails that belonged to the rogue who'd taken Lex. "Take the trails to the west, I'll take the east, meet back here if you find anything," I instructed.

          Hayden nodded and took off towards the west. I remembered that I hadn't informed my clan of my whereabouts. "Parker, Chase, Emma, Skye, there has been a rogue attack and they've taken Lex despite my efforts. Head back to her house and see if you can find anything and protect her parents should a rogue come for them and inform them of what has happened," I said, knowing their ears could hear me.

          "Yes, my lord," they said in unison. "We will let you know of any clues we find or if anything happens at her house," I heard Parker's voice in the wind.