Chapter Twelve

I woke up to a pitch black room. I waved my hand in front of my face but I couldn't even see that. I looked at where the window would be but I still found nothing. I pulled back the sheets and stepped out of bed.

          "Lex?" Connor said from right in front of me and I jumped.

          I reached my hand out in front of me and not even five inches away I felt Connor's chest beneath my hand. "Where are we?" I asked.

          "We're still at the house," Connor said, concerned.

          "Why is it so dark?" I asked.

          "It's a new moon so there's no light outside and this house doesn't have electricity since no one really lived here so there's no light in here either," Connor explained.

          "You don't mind it being so dark?" I asked, still looking at utter blackness.

          "Vampires can see in the dark so it doesn't really matter, but we prefer the darkness instead of light," Connor said, taking my hand.

          Connor lead me back to my bed and then helped me back into it. "You know, it feels weird talking to you like this, it's almost like I'm talking to the dark," I said.

          I felt a breeze against my face and then a second latter the breeze came back. I assumed Connor had gone somewhere. Connor struck a match, illuminating his face in firelight. He then lit a candle and set it on the nightstand by my bed.

          "Is that better?" Connor asked.

          "Much better," I said, watching the flames from the candle dance in Connor's eyes.

          Connor smiled and walked over to the window, he shut the curtains and then looked back at me, "so no one else can see the light," he explained.

          I nodded and then my former question came to mind, "Connor, why do they call you Prince?" I asked.

           Connor sat back down in the chair in between the bed and the window. "Do you really want to know?" He asked and I nodded. Connor sighed and then looked back to me, "my blood line is one of the last royal bloodlines in all of the vampire kingdom. Besides me there is one more royal bloodline and we rule two different realms of the world. My family, the Pierce's, rule this half of the world while the Duval's, the other royal bloodline, rule the other half," Connor said and paused, making sure I was keeping up.

           "To keep the royal blood line going both me and the Princess of the Duval's are supposed to marry full-blooded vampires who will then become part of the royal bloodline. There is to be no human blood in a royal lineage," Connor explained.

          "Wait, so someone can be born a vampire?" I asked.

          "Yes, if a vampire is one of the parents, but there are half-bloods and full-bloods. A half-blood is a vampire with human genes while a full-blood has no human genes in their lineage. I, myself, am a full-blood from the royal lineage itself. My parents and all my ancestors before them believe a royal bloodline should only consist of full-bloods. There are a few full-bloods left out there and it is my job to find one when the time is right to keep the royal bloodline pure," Connor explained.

          "How can you tell if a vampire is a full-blood or a half-blood?" I asked.

           "By smell and just so you know, full-bloods are rarer than they used to be and full-bloods are stronger, through mental and physical abilities, than a half-blood," Connor said.