Chapter Twenty-Nine

I heard screams and not five seconds later principal Atkins came on the intercom, "code black, I repeat, code black, this is not a drill. Get to the nearest classroom," he said and all the blood in my veins froze.

Code black meant there were intruders in the building and we all needed to get out the hallways and out of sight. I would have been running along with the others but there were too many people shoving other people to get to a classroom, plus, I couldn't see anything. I started feeling down the lockers until I felt someone's hand wrap around my forearm and I screamed in surprise.

"Lex, it's me," Connor's warm voice said beside my ear and pulled me in the opposite direction.

I heard someone else call my name but I couldn't pinpoint it. I looked around in the darkness but I could only make out dark silhouettes rushing to get out of sight.

"Come on," Connor's voice said again and tugged at my hand.

I reluctantly followed. I was worried for Hayden, Jade, and the others. Connor pulled me into a classroom that was completely empty. I looked around to see that the blinds were opened letting in a little bit of light. I turned around to see someone that was not Connor.

I screamed as loud as I could. The guy in front of me had blonde hair and almost black eyes and he looked like he'd been running through the woods all day. He clamped a hand over my mouth and I struggled against the grip he had on me as he wrapped his other arm around the front of my shoulders.

He pulled me to him so that my back was against his chest as the very angry and very real Connor busted the door down. I watched him with frightened eyes as I felt cold metal bite into the skin on my neck. I started looking for any and every way to get out of this situation. I thought about stomping on his foot but he'd probably still cut me in my attempt to be freed.

"Take any more steps and the knife goes in farther and farther," the rogue behind me said in a cold and lifeless voice.

As if to prove his point he dug the knife in slightly making me squirm in his grip and scream against his hand. I felt a slight trickle flow down my neck. I knew it was my blood and I looked cautiously at Connor. He had a hurt and worried expression on his face mixed with anger but as he smelled my blood a look of lust and passion crept onto his features.

"Stop," Connor said angrily but the effect was lost as his voice broke as he said the word.

"So tempting isn't it?" The rogue asked and I felt him move behind me and suddenly I felt his tongue sliding up the side of my neck and I made a grunt of effort and a sound of disgust into his hand as I tried to get away.

The rogue moaned and I cringed at the sound, "blissful isn't it? Absolutely the best blood there is on this world, but you already know about that, don't you?" The rogue asked but it sounded more like an accusation.

Connor let out a furious growl that made me instantly go still I cautiously looked over at him to see pure rage etched on his face. His red eyes seemed to burn and his teeth seemed longer and sharper as his face was twisted into a snarl. Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, Connor was in front of me and had the rogue's wrist in his hand.

"I am Prince Connor, son of the King of the Northern Realm and future heir to the throne, so as future king of this realm I sentence you to death since you have threatened murder to one of my closest allies," Connor said in a dark voice that seemed to have another, even darker, voice intertwining with his. This voice was cold and heartless; this was the person Connor was when he needed to protect what he cared about. I looked up at him in wonder as well as a new found fear, but it wasn't for what he was doing, it was for the other sides of Connor I had yet to see.