Chapter 5

"Be quiet." He breathed the words into my ear so there was no mistaking that only I could hear him. For a brief moment, I could feel him holding me. He was... warm and firm, and he smelled like foresty musk. His arms snaked around me and guided my hands away from the edge where I was gripping the railing like it was my lifeline.

Slowly, I removed my gaze from Valentino and channeled it to the man behind me. No one was there. Frantically searching for the man I felt I whipped my head back over the railing so that I stared down at the entire prison. The wall that separated the two sections of the prison ended on the eighth floor and if I wanted to I could see what anyone in the prison was doing. But all I could do was look at his bright blue eyes as he stared at me from the other side of the bars.

"Go all the way up, then don't move." He whispered again. Muscles rippled across every part of his body. He was obviously a seasoned warrior. I'd never seen a man with those features but I knew, without a doubt, that he was the Alpha. A beast: just like the rumors told.

I looked at where he was pointing, the tenth floor, and decided he was my only chance. Hopefully, he wasn't just saving me for later or something. I climbed up to the last floor- a place I never thought I would have to step inside of.

"Holy Shit," My breath was shaky as I looked around. Silver chains were littered across the floor. Blood puddled around some of them, though, most were just broken.

Time passed slowly. I stayed hidden within the darkness, feeling every beat of my heart pounding on the cold stone I lay upon. The tenth floor was as quiet as it was dark, with only one sound to be heard; the sound of my own pulse throbbing in my ears. Suddenly, the serenity of silence surrendered to the deathly scream of Valentino as the Alpha raged hell for the first time in a long time. I was scared.

I held my breath, daring not to make a sound. Each second seemed to last an eternity as I lay perfectly still listening to the sound of him climbing up the bars, which had muted the pounding of my pulse.

He had tousled dark brown hair, which was thick and lustrous. His eyes were a mesmerizing deep ocean blue, flecks of silvery light performed ballets throughout. His face was strong and defined, his features molded from granite. He had dark eyebrows, which sloped downwards in a serious expression. His eyes had drawn into a storm. His perfect lips ripe for the kissing. He was much too tall for me. His strong hands, slightly rough from working, held mine as he stared deep into my eyes. I couldn't help but blush and try to step away from his intense energy. Worry etched its way back into his face. His body was warm and toned as he hugged me, comforting to the touch. His voice was deep, with a serious tone. His lips brushed my ear as he spoke the word we were both thinking, "Mate."

My gaze slid to the side, but he growled and placed himself in front of me. He was waiting for me to say it back. To accept him as my mate. He pulled me against his chest. His nose tickled my ear. I let out a tiny gasp and squirmed uncomfortably. I didn't like being so intimately handled. I felt his lips softly graze my slender neck. My face heated. I summoned enough courage to meet his gaze. His ocean eyes twinkled. He's trying to make me feel like this! I took in his scent then my head bowed and the word spilled out of my mouth before I registered what it would mean, "Mate."

He pulled me into a heady trance, letting the love flow through me quicker than fire in dry wood. Suddenly I was swamped with a feeling I'd rather die than let go of, rather wither away than loose. His love is my valor, my virtue, the very best parts of me combined like naked copper wiring. Him and me, we were born to spark together, born to run the same course.

"What's your name?" He said, and I couldn't tell if he was growling or if that was what his voice sounded like.

"Amalia."

"Well, Amalia I need you to do me a favor." He said still staring hauntingly into my soul, "When they open those doors tomorrow you can't tell them I'm your mate."

For a moment I felt hurt: hurt that he might be ashamed of me, until he clarified, "Every Monday these guards check on me. They inject me with silver and chain me to the wall, if they find out that your mine then they'll kill you. On Sunday when the silver wears off we'll leave this place. Together."

"They inject you with silver?" I say horror written all over my face.

He nodded as if it was no big deal looking more concerned about me than himself.

"Shouldn't you be dead?" I ask confused, "Thats tomorrow!"I exclaim, my throat dropping into my stomach.

"Don't worry about me, I've been doing this for five years. I'm going to help you down to the bottom floor, it's almost morning."

"I don't need help."

"Get on my back." He continued, leaving no room for me to decline.

I was about to protest until I saw him turn around. His bare, statuesque back loomed and taunted me. It almost irked me how he dominantly insisted that we do it his way, but a large part of me really wanted to hold him, and this was the perfect excuse.

My eyes hungrily scanned the tattoo lined blades that followed along with his full back. They called me. I followed along to every curve of his body: the way his skin felt, smooth like mahogany; the way his warmth spread across my entire arm as I placed my hand on his shoulder; and how my bones jumped out of their skin when we made eye contact.

I let my arms wrap themselves around his neck, my feet around his waste. He felt so safe.

"I won't let you go." He assured me, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't just talking about letting me fall to my death. It gave me the chills thinking that I might have just made a mate out of the devil.

I was so lost in thought that I never noticed we reached the bottom floor. "You can let go now, Amalia." He chuckled.

I let out a nervous laugh and unclenched my locked fists. "When will I see you again, Valko- Zeke?"

"I won't ever be far." He promised, "And you can call me Zeke."

I nodded and smiled at nothing in particular. The door separating the division began to jiggle signaling the end of the fight and my eyes shot up to Zeke in panic, but he was already gone.