Chapter 28: Dreams and Bitterness

Start from the beginning

"Go." She rasps. "They are coming for you. Run away. Run far away and never look back. They've already got one of yours and will get more." She then lifts one finger and chuckles. "You can't escape. Can never escape. I tried and look where I got us." She leans forward and stares at me. "Run."

She collapses back and let's out a deep sigh as if she had accomplished what she needed to. Her eyes go dead and whatever energy she had a moment ago disappears. Her stare is vacant and she looks at nothing.

I don't know what to do or where to go. She told me to run, but where to? Did it matter? I look around wildly, looking for a sign in this grey, cloudy, expanse of nothing.

"Run," I hear the woman's voice whisper, so I do.

I run as if my life depended on it. Maybe it did. The woman sure thought it did.

Run far away and never look back.

. . . . . . . . . .

"Ow, stop kicking me Rowena." Lina whines.

I groan and roll over, shielding my eyes from the light. "What?"

"Oh, finally. You're awake." She sighs and shakes her head. "I'm never agreeing to wake you up again. Never."

I prop myself up on my elbows and furrow my brows. "Excuse me, what?"

"You suddenly started kicking me like crazy. I probably have bruises all up and down my arms and legs. Ouch."

I press my lips together trying not to laugh. "Sorry. You could just back back out of the tent and yell at me from the outside, you know."

She waves her hand. "That sounds like logic. No thanks. Anyway, we're all getting ready now. I think we'll start off again soon. Get up, eat, and pack up."

I sit up fully and point a finger at her, still not fully awake. "Stop bossing me around missy." I fall back down and close my eyes.

"Is Rowena up?" I hear Corrin yell.

"She was." Lina answers.

"Was?"

"She's lying back down."

The tent rustles and Lucas pokes his head inside. "Come on, Princess. Wake up."

I force myself up again. "Fine, fine. I'm up, I'm up." I spread my arms wide. "See?"

"That . . ." Lina points a finger at me. "Was surprisingly fast."

"What do you mean?"

"Well from what I can remember it was much harder to move you from the comfort of your bed."

I screw up my face. "Key word is comfort." I pat the makeshift bed I slept on the whole night. "This just isn't the same."

Lina shrugs. "Well I guess."

"Are you ready to leave?" Alicia asks.

"Yes!" I call back.

"Lovely." Lina claps her hands together. "So let's get this all packed up and then leave."

And that we do. Corrin seems a little sore but otherwise okay. Alicia is the one who is really the worst off. Her cuts have stopped bleeding but the bruises and scabs cover her from head to toe. Luckily nothing was broken, cut off, or anything of the like.

Before we launch off Ryan turns to Alicia. "I'm carrying you."

Alicia shakes her head. "No way."