Chapter 15

PERCY

What have I done? I never should have gone away with Miley. I should have just ignored her. Now because of my stupidness, Annabeth is mad at me. I watched her as she walked away from me and Thalia, who was staring me down.

"What?" I asked her.

"How could you do that to her?" Thalia demanded. Even though I knew she was trying to sound mad, her voice was soft. "You're the only person she actually loves." I didn't reply. How could I do that to Annabeth? I was a terrible boyfriend. Thalia was saying my name, but I just kind of sounded her out. Would Annabeth break up with me, or would she just ignore me? I decided to stop worrying about it and go clean up, like Annabeth said. Ignoring Thalia shouts for me to get my butt back there, I walked to the boy's bathroom. Thankfully, it was empty. I walked over to one of the sinks and started to wash the lipstick marks off of my face and neck. I had to let myself get wet, which sucked because the water in these bathrooms came in one setting- ice cold. Once my face was lipstick free, I fixed my hair and you wouldn't even know that I had been making out with a deranged mortal girl.

Hearing the door open, I tried to act as casual as possible- until I saw the person who entered the washroom. It was Matt Sloan. A crooked grin found home on his ugly face when he saw me. I turned to walk out, but Matt just slammed the door shut. Hopefully he wasn't thinking on having a make out session with me, too.

"What do you want, Matt?" I asked.

"Heard you and your girlfriend had a falling out," he said. He still had  the same, obnoxious voice he had when I met him in the seventh grade.

"We didn't have a falling out," I told him.

"Then why did I see her walking around crying and mumbling, 'Stupid Percy...'?" I wanted to slap that grin right off his face. Annabeth was actually crying? No, Annabeth's tougher than that... She wouldn't cry... Would she? Matt laughed.  

"Looks like there's going to be two more single people in Goode soon," he said. I glared at him.

"We're not going to break up," I said stubbornly. Matt laughed his annoying laugh again. I clenched my fists, and I felt a tugging feeling in my gut.

"Well lets just wait a couple days," he said, "before you know it, she'll be my girl-" I don't remember moving, but the next thing I knew, I was griping Matt's neck and holding him a few feet off the ground. His eyes were wide and his face was turning a light shade of red.

"Don't you ever touch her," I whispered, "she's my girlfriend, and even if she wasn't, she isn't dumb enough to like a jerk like you." Matt was gasping for breath; I was choking him. I didn't care. His  skinny hands were trying to pry my fingers away from his throat. But I kept my grip firm. Matt's face was bright red. Then he smirked. He freaking smirked.

"I don't know," he breathed, "Annie's pretty dumb. I mean, she's dating you after all." My fingers tightened around his neck. No one talks about Annabeth that way. Matt closed his eyes shut for a second, tried to breathe, then opened his eyes.

Suddenly, his eyes became wide and he made a choking noise. His brown eyes focused on something behind me.

"The... The water..." he gasped. Still holding him, I turned my head around. Every single sink was overflowing with water and spilling onto the floor. I muttered a curse, released Matt and ran to the sinks to turn them off. I heard the mortal land with a thud, the squeak of sneakers. When I turned back around, he was gone. I managed to clean up all the water pretty fast. The bell rang, and I needed to get to class. I ran out of the bathroom, and was greeted by mumbling and staring. Great, Matt had probably told everyone that I had tried to strangle him. (Well, I kind of did, but he didn't have to go telling everyone.)