Chapter 13

ANNABETH

I felt like I could run faster then a cheetah. Faster than any living man or woman on earth. Faster than a lion chasing its prey.

My Percy was in the hospital.

I was so stupid- I had forgotten to ask Thalia why Percy was in the hospital. My first thought was that he got shot. But if he did get shot, Thalia would've told me. In fact, if anything that serious happened, she would've told me first thing. My second instinct was that attacked by something.

I tried to keep my hands under control as I drove- I did not want to end up crashing. My hands shook the steering wheel, making me swerve in the lane. Someone honked at me, and I replied with some impolite words in Greek. I was sweating. What was wrong with Percy?! In less than five me minutes to arrive at the hospital. I took off my seatbelt while the car was still moving, and I jumped out the second that the tires were still. Fat snowflakes flew into my eyes, which made my vision blurry. I blinked them away. I burst through the hospital doors and I was hit with a slight smell of sea. Percy. I ran through the halls.

"Ma'am!" the lady at the front desk called. "Excuse me, young lady!" I ignored her and followed the smell of the ocean. The further I walked, the stronger it became. Eventually, I heard the loud voice of Connor Stoll. I ran to that room and tore the curtains open. Thalia, Grover, Juniper, Katie, the Stolls, Nico, Silena, Beckendorf, Liam, Jordyn- even Clarisse and Chris were there in the room. Percy was lying on the bed, wearing a dark blue shirt and jeans. He looked like he was sleeping-but I wasn't too sure. I couldn't even tell if he was breathing. I covered my mouth with both hands. Thalia stood up and offered me her chair beside Percy's face. I sat down and pressed my palm to his cheek. He looked so peaceful.

At that second, a nurse wearing pale blue clothes walked in.

"Excuse me?" I asked, my voice shaking. "What's wrong with him?" The nurse looked like a teenager, but she was probably in her early twenties. She looked had long, blonde hair down to her hips and big blue eyes. Her fingernails were long and red, and she was wearing way too much makeup. She was chewing gum very loudly and obnoxiously.

"Who are you?" She asked. She even had an obnoxious voice.

"I'm his girlfriend." I said matter-of-factly. She chewed her gum a couple more times before answering me.

"Motorcycle accident. Was driving, flew off, hit a building. Been sleeping since we got him in the ambulance." I let a sigh of relief out of my lips.

"Sleeping? You mean he's alive?" She nodded. The nurse put her hand on his chest, then picked up his wrist and pressed her thumb to it. She let it drop without care, and it made a thud against the bed.

"He's breathing fine, and his heartbeat is steady. He should wake up soon." Then she left.

I stared at Percy. He had a bump on his forehead, a cut under his eye, a scar across his jaw, and a bunch of scrapes on his arms. But, he was breathing. Thank the gods that he wasn't dead. I rubbed his scarred jawline with my thumb gently. Then I turn to my friends, my hand still on Percy's face.

"Um, do you guys mind? I just want to have privacy with him." I said. My words came out soft. One by one, they started to leave. At the end it was just Percy, Thalia, Grover and I. Grover gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Don't worry about him. He's been through worse." Grover said, giving me a smile. I know what he's talking about. He left too, and Thalia gave me a hug.

"Grover's right. Percy's going to be fine." She said. Thalia waited for a few seconds, then she walked out after Grover. I keep rubbing Percy's face, hoping that he'll wake up. I knew that that motorcycle was a bad idea... I thought to myself. I had to blink back tears. I know, I know, he wasn't dead. But I still felt like bursting into tears. I bit my quivering lower lip.