Chapter 2 (Pronunciation Reference Found Here)

Chapter Two

        Willow felt spooked in every way. Her mind was flitting through all the movies she’d watched; would they kill her because she saw them? Were they supposed to be seen? She shook her over TV-raised reactions from her mind just as Jasper’s phone rang from behind her.

She had completely forgotten he was behind her. She looked behind and Jasper stared back for a minute.

“Answer it,” Willow murmured.

He did and she turned around and had to double into a run to catch up to them. How far were they going? Why were they so intent on their target? And what kind of message was that boy trying to send her?

“No, Marcus, I’m kind of busy. You need to come on Cedar Street—“ Willow listened to Jasper talking urgently on the phone. He was obviously being interrupted. Marcus was a government man with lots of power and some kind of affair with Jasper’s mom. If he wanted something from Jasper, Jasper had to do it or it would be trouble.

“Marcus, we have an emergency—no! I can’t come righ now—Fine, fine! I’m coming.” He tapped the end button quite fiercely just as the strange group and their cloaked target turned into a dark, almost deserted street. Willow stopped right at the corner of it, bracing  herself against the wall.

“I have to go,” Jasper said, standing in front of her, gripping her arm. “Call Machire and tell him to come with some backup. Don’t do anything stupid or God forbid Willow.” He released her shoulder from his tight grip and looked away just as his phone rang. He groaned.

“I have to go. Call. Now.”  He gave a worried glanced to her and Willow sighed, a surge of disapointment going through her. She got her phone out and started sifting through her contacts till she got to Machire’s name. She indicated it to Jasper and he nodded before throwing her a worried glance and running back, his phone already at his ear to talk to Marcus.

Willow watched his retreating figure for a moment and then looked down to the phone and then back into the empty street.

The street was deserted and Willow cursed, running through it.

What’s the point of calling if I don’t even know where they are at now?

She ran through the street, looking into the alleys for them. Her heart was pounding in her ears. She was treading dangerous grounds. Looking into another alley she saw them.

Abrutly throwing herself against the corner wall where she wouldn’t be seen, she held her breath.

But these killers weren’t stupid. They had seen and heard her. Without any warning a large hand grabbed her forearm and yanked her into the alley.

That’s it, Willow thought. I’m going to die.

With that thought she closed her eyes and kicked out. She wasn’t going to just let herself  be killed. She tried to pull away from the arm that gripped her forearm with her free hand, but someone grabbed her arm and they were pinned behind her.

She continued kicking and then her foot contacted something hard and someone grunted.

“Oh let her go,” a female voice said. “It’s not like she’ll do any damage.”

The hands let go of her and she immediately turned into a fighting position. . She looked around her to find a dead body crumpled on the ground. The body had a cloak around it. These people really were murderers. They had been chasing their target to kill him.