Chapter 5 - Scene 1

❷⓪❶ Lbs    

November 15, 2016

I didn't sleep well that night; I was too distracted. I felt like I'd let both the team and my followers down. Or maybe it was because I wolfed down seven fish tacos for dinner. Either way I was not looking forward to being back at work.

"Earth to Viola!" Shaniqua shouted, waving her hand in front of my face.

"Huh? Oh!" I said, looking blankly at the customer in front of me. "Sorry, Shan. I barely slept last night." I handed over a panini to the customer. "Have a nice day."

Shaniqua walked up to me. "Girl, what is the matter with you today? Did you take those pills from my purse again? Viola, how many times do I have to tell you those are not Skittles."

"I told you, I slept really poorly. The meeting in the park was a disaster." I stepped away from the cash register.

"What happened? It can't be that bad."

"Shaniqua, I kicked a guy in the face and broke his nose!"

She laughed wildly. "I would give anything to kick Shamar in the face."

Maybe Shaniqua had a point. Was I making a big deal out of nothing? I knew this wasn't going to be an easy goal to complete and fretting over the rocky start wasn't helping. I had to find a solution that would keep me moving forward. Then I realized it was in front of me the entire time.

I perked up. "You know what, Shan? I have an idea." I rolled up my sleeves and walked over to the reception desk.

"Hi, Janette, how are you?" I said cheerfully, tilting my head.

Janette was leaning over the desk, filing her freshly manicured nails. "Oh, it's you. What do you want?" Janette said in a disgusted tone.

"I wanted to ask you a question."

"Hi, Christos!" Janette shouted flirtatiously, looking over my shoulder. Her attitude completely changed, as if she had a multiple personality. I curiously turned around to see who or what triggered her good side.

Standing behind me was the new personal trainer. Being that I was one foot away from him, I was finally able to get a better look at his appearance. I was curious to see what Shaniqua and Janette saw in him.

He was a lot taller up close, probably a little over six feet. His hair was dark brown, thick, and smelled like tea leaves. He was wearing a black compressed tank top, which showed off muscle definition in his arms and shoulders. I have to admit, his beard did accentuate his chiseled face, but I was still grossed out by it.

Clearly this guy had good hygiene, fashion, and cared about his personal health, so could I now see everyone's attraction to him? Meh.

Janette reached into a drawer and pulled out a card. "Here is your parking pass, Christos. It's right next to mine. Hey, maybe we can carpool sometime."

Christos reached for the card and replied in a deep masculine voice, "Thanks."

As he walked away, I couldn't help but feel butterflies in my stomach. He walked with confidence, unlike Franklin, who was constantly hunched over like he was going to ring the bell in Notre Dame.

"Viola!" Janette shouted, pulling me back to reality. "Eyes over here. Christos is way out of your league. You're too innocent and fat for him."

"I am not that innocent. I was a part of Occupy Wall Street, though that was strictly for the free sandwiches."

Janette rolled her eyes. "What do you want, Viola?"

"I am interested in a group personal training session."

"You know you need a group for that, right?" Janette said condescendingly.

"Absolutely," I replied cheerfully. "Including myself, there are four of us." In truth, Barbara-Anne, Vik, and Remy had no clue what I was up to. Hopefully they were still willing to give me another chance.

Janette moved over to her computer screen and exhaled deeply as if she was annoyed. "Okay, I can book you and your freak show in to meet a personal trainer tomorrow afternoon."

"Thanks, Janette! I really appreciate it. Hey, can you do me a favor? Can you please ensure it's not Christos?"

"Fine, whatever. Roll away now," she said, waving me away.

"Thanks again. You da best!" I shouted, walking back to the Hut.

"Oh, Viola! You need a minimum of five members for a group session. Oops, did I forget to mention that?" Janette said with a devilish smile.

"Oh... Okay, I'm on it!" I replied.

Where the heck was I going to find a fifth member before tomorrow afternoon?

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join the Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/